The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   are you kidding me?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/you-kidding-me-144332/)

BCtazzie 11-22-2012 11:00 AM

are you kidding me??

I just found this online. :-x

International Ace Curb Chain Spike Nose Caveson - Tan

A noseband with metal spikes (yep against the horses nose) with a curb chain.

How on earth could anyone use this? I have rode some very bad pullers in my time but never would I even think about using something like this. Once again, I have found something that all I can do is shake my head at.

Reno Bay 11-22-2012 11:02 AM

*squints* the "spikes" look rounded, not sharp at all...but still I wouldn't let that anywhere near my horse...

Saddlebag 11-22-2012 11:58 AM

It is stating that it is used like a Kineton, the difference being is the Kineton has large C shaped metal pieces that fit around a snaffle bit between the lips and rings. When the horse, a jumper, pulls too hard the pull on the bit engages the noseband. The nose band is just plain stout leather. Unfortunately someone may use this particular one as a bitless bridle not knowing that the studs could damage a lot of facial nerves.

loosie 11-22-2012 08:47 PM

Hmm, doesn't surprise me sadly. People commonly use chains across a horse's nose - even across their gums!!:evil:, nasty bits, all sorts of tie downs, tie ups, etc. & then you've got the practices like chains around fetlocks, tabasco under tails, 'make them think you're going to kill them' or 'you can't hurt a horse as much as another horse could so anything you do is ok' attitudes....

All this talk about 'making' a horse respect his human but no consideration for the lack of respect humans show their animals...

BCtazzie 11-23-2012 10:23 AM

To be honest, anyone that "has" to use that nose band due to their horse pulling or to get it in the right head set, has bigger problems. The art of training horses (and animals in general) really escapes some people.

hisangelonly 12-01-2012 03:31 PM

I've seen very very bad ones. There's one that has actual spikes on it. It's more like a tie down nose band. The tb I have was ridden in one because the owner (a race horse trainer) thought he was too hot and needed one (no horse needs one). He rode him on the sides of highways with it on. I now have this horse and he has a real problem keeping his head down. He is learning and I rode him today for the first time and he never once offered to take off or do anything stupid. He just has to learn to accept the bit. Tie downs really don't teach a horse to keep his head down. If anything they make it worse. But this one had SPIKES on it. I'm surprised he has no scars on his nose.
Posted via Mobile Device