The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   College (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/college-144335/)

Prinella 11-22-2012 12:04 PM

College

So I'm confused what does college mean in the US?
As an Aussie I went from high school to Uni,
Posted via Mobile Device

ReiningCrazy 11-22-2012 12:25 PM

Well in Canada we have College and University, College generally is a specialized field and is around 2 years of length. I went to college for Customs (Border Officer), you can also go to college for Paramedic, Police Foundations, pre-firefighter where usually you only get a Diploma...

University is generally 4+ years and is what I consider alot of the bookwork courses, Business, Accounting, Bachelors and Master Degrees is given out.

Then there is people who go to college first and then go to university to get their degree in their field of choice, so I could go to university to get my BA in Criminal Justice.

KeepCalmAndTrotOn 11-22-2012 11:07 PM

Usually in the US College degrees go: Associates, Bachelors, Masters, & Doctorate(PhD). You can skip the Associates and go straight to the Bachelors with the right qualifications. Community college is generally a first choice, before deciding to specialize in a field.

Joe4d 11-23-2012 05:08 PM

University and College, the two words can be used interchangeably in American English.
But they also have independent meanings. University usually refers to a specific place or building. College is just the general thing you do.
Meet someone and ask,,,, "Where do you work?"
"Oh I dont work, I am in college"
"Oh where do you go to school,"
"I am at the University of Virginia."

In American English you would never say I go to university. But there are buildings that use University in their name, and there are other schools that use college in their name.

Saskia 11-24-2012 08:46 AM

They pretty much use the word college exactly like we would use the word university.

And the way we would use college is entirely different.

I also think, although I am not sure, that they have things like community college, or technical colleges, that are similar to our TAFE.

2muchcoffeeman 11-26-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1769416)
University and College, the two words can be used interchangeably in American English.
But they also have independent meanings. University usually refers to a specific place or building. College is just the general thing you do.
Meet someone and ask,,,, "Where do you work?"
"Oh I dont work, I am in college"
"Oh where do you go to school,"
"I am at the University of Virginia."

In American English you would never say I go to university. But there are buildings that use University in their name, and there are other schools that use college in their name.

And just to confuddle the issue a little more, many of the larger universities will have the departments broken down into major colleges (College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Engineering), with those broken down into departments and/or schools (School of Health Sciences, Department of English, School of Humanities and Fine Arts, Department of Communications, [I have direct experience with these last two :lol: ] &c.).

WalnutPixie 11-26-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

And just to confuddle the issue a little more, many of the larger universities will have the departments broken down into major colleges (College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Engineering), with those broken down into departments and/or schools (School of Health Sciences, Department of English, School of Humanities and Fine Arts, Department of Communications, [I have direct experience with these last two :lol: ] &c.).

Oh yes, it get's quite confusing! The words are used interchangeably but in certain contexts they have drastically different meanings. I'm going to a University and people recognize that it's serious when I invoke that word, wheras if I said that I was going to a community college nobody would take me seriously. Then, at the same time, if somebody asked me why I couldn't visit them at a certain time of day, I would tell them that I had a college class at that time and there would be no negative connotations!

It's crazy but maybe not as bad as playing Football without using our feet! :P

What's a TAFE?

2muchcoffeeman 11-26-2012 04:48 AM

And even more confusing to some people, the institutions themselves can call themselves College or University, yet it's hard to consider one a step down from the either.

For instance, the Ivy League has several universities and one "college" — Dartmouth College, which is certainly a major private research university like the other Ivy League schools but has never bothered changing its name. And where do you slot various "institutes" when they're outfits like MIT or Georgia Tech? :lol:

Prinella 12-05-2012 10:51 PM

At TAFEe you generally attain certificates or diplomas.
Courses can be entry pathways to university courses such as a child care certificate leading to an early education degree or a certificate in bussiness leading into a bachelor.
TAFEs also handle coursework for apprentices.
Fees are alot cheaper and they're generally easier to get into but not necessarily.