The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Flooding field? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/flooding-field-144358/)

LinkIsAGenius 11-22-2012 03:06 PM

Flooding field?

Hi guys I've just been down to check my horses and the field is flooding.. Help me, I don't know what to do. Will they be ok? It's goes about half way up their hooves and I don't have anywhere to move them. There is a livery yard near by but we can't afford to put both of them there and I do have a stable but the water has somehow managed to get into the stable and tack room.
I know I should know this but I don't and I don't care if it makes me a bad horse owner. Help please? :oops:

Misty'sGirl 11-22-2012 04:10 PM

Where is the water coming from?

LinkIsAGenius 11-22-2012 04:18 PM

The sky.. I live in England and it's like a sheet of rain

Maple 11-22-2012 04:24 PM

146 Attachment(s)
Plenty of fields are flooded here as well. Have they a dry patch they can hibernate to in the hopes that it dries up? Our fields didnt dry at all this year with all the rain we had :(

Saw a pic of Paul Nicholls yard yesterday and the water was almost halfway up the stable doors!

LinkIsAGenius 11-22-2012 04:30 PM

There isn't a dry patch for them.. I suppose I could put one of them at the livery yard. Do you think it would be ok if I left one in the field? One of them has bad feet but the other is fine

Maple 11-22-2012 04:39 PM

146 Attachment(s)
You can chance your arm and explain your situation and they may offer you a deal. I was suprised by the varying prices in livery yards, and one I thought would be expensive ended up being one of the cheapest. Also look on ads boards, with the economy the way it is plenty of people with private yards are looking to lease stalls out.

AlexS 11-23-2012 01:54 AM

Half way up the hooves is nothing, your horses will be fine. I'd prefer to move them to a paddock so they don't churn up the pasture - but they will be fine.

Watch out for abscesses though, and call your farrier at the first sign of a gimpy horse.