The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What Color? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-color-144371/)

bhindes 11-22-2012 06:05 PM

What Color?

2 Attachment(s)
Can you get a brown foal out of 2 black parents? The sire is homozygous for black and the dam is heterozygous. I was expecting a black foal from them but the foal is dark chocolate colored with tan at the muzzle and around the eye. Also all the other soft points like between the thighs, point of the buttock, armpits, etc. are all like a fawn or creme color.

Chiilaa 11-22-2012 07:04 PM

Have you got pictures of the dam and sire? Being homozygous for black does not guarantee a "black" foal, it guarantees a black based colour. Bay and brown are both black based.

bhindes 11-22-2012 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1768567)
Have you got pictures of the dam and sire? Being homozygous for black does not guarantee a "black" foal, it guarantees a black based colour. Bay and brown are both black based.

Yes I do have pics of both sire and dam. I am not able to post the sires pic as it is used for his advertisement, but he is jet black. Here is a link to his website. I have attached a pic of the dam. There was even an article in the APHA journal that states 2 black horses cannot have a brown foal. This is what has be scratching my head. Is this filly a black with the mealy/ pangrea gene? I know they say it typically does not happen in black horses but I guess you never know.

Chiilaa 11-22-2012 07:29 PM

There is no link there?

Does the mare get sunfaded in weird places, such as under her tail and in her flank?

bhindes 11-22-2012 07:29 PM

Opps. Sorry here is the link to his website. Wix.com AllAroundShowHorses created by mystallions2 based on Real Estate Biz

bhindes 11-22-2012 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1768592)
There is no link there?

Does the mare get sunfaded in weird places, such as under her tail and in her flank?

I have attached a pic of the mare when she is sun faded. She still looks very black just not as deep black.

Poseidon 11-22-2012 07:51 PM

Do either of the parents develop the lighter areas of brown with their winter coats? The reason I ask is because there is a mare at my barn that I honestly thought was black up until she got her winter coat growing in and she is the darkest brown I have seen. She still looks almost entirely black, but her muzzle is very light, as is her flank.

bhindes 11-22-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 1768626)
Do either of the parents develop the lighter areas of brown with their winter coats? The reason I ask is because there is a mare at my barn that I honestly thought was black up until she got her winter coat growing in and she is the darkest brown I have seen. She still looks almost entirely black, but her muzzle is very light, as is her flank.

I know the dam does not develop lighter areas in the winter, but I am not sure about the sire.

bhindes 11-22-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 1768626)

I know the dam does not develop lighter areas in the winter, but I am not sure about the sire.

NdAppy 11-22-2012 08:09 PM

Wish there were some better pics of the stud... He supposedly sired another brown/dark bay foal off of another black mare (according to allbreed) but I can't verify those pics either.