The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What do you think of this english saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-do-you-think-english-saddle-144446/)

Horsecrazy4ever 11-23-2012 04:31 PM

What do you think of this english saddle?

1 Attachment(s)
As many of you know, I've been looking for a nice starter saddle for me, as I have never ridden english, and I have a MFT that uses a FQHB western saddle.

what do you think of this saddle? It's a:

Cambridge International english saddle. 17in seat medium gullet
Asking $100 OBO_ I believe it comes with a girth too.

Any comments on the brand? How the saddle looks/fits? Comfortable? Good first saddle?

xJumperx 11-23-2012 06:49 PM

Nope, don't get it. Run far and fast.
It's a saddle from one of those packages - the leather is crap, and won't fit any horse on this planet very well. Made in India ... just complete waste of money. Sorry! The saddle search continues.. :)

Horsecrazy4ever 11-23-2012 07:48 PM

okay, thanks for replying :)
* what do you think of this one?--> 17 Crump Close Contact WIDE | eBay

Speed Racer 11-23-2012 08:33 PM

Crumps are decent saddles, but do you know what size tree your horse takes? The first (crappy) saddle was a medium, and this one's a wide. There's quite a bit of difference in the two sizes.

Horsecrazy4ever 11-23-2012 08:38 PM

yes, I missed that part - opps!

My horse currently uses a FQHB western saddle and that is about a 7 or 7.5 inch gullet -- he could certainly go bigger as his belly would like that :D

So I was thinking I should stick to a gullet in the range of 7 or 8, correct?

So the Crump looks in OK shape?

Thank you for replying :)

poppy1356 11-23-2012 08:47 PM

Western gullet and english gullet are different sizes. My arab takes a 5.5 in english but wider in western. Can't tell you why or how they are measured differently just that they are. Take a wither tracing then you will know what gullet you need. But you also need to know about channel and how wide that needs to be.