The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   About to purchase two minis! - need advice please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/about-purchase-two-minis-need-advice-144480/)

mpnosel 11-23-2012 10:54 PM

About to purchase two minis! - need advice please

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 119270
Attachment 119268
Hey all - I'm looking into purchasing a couple mini's for my little ones to grow up with and ride and need a bit of advice on the colts I found before I bring them home.

They are both 1 year old and (to my novice eyes..) look pretty healthy. Although the current owner is a laid-back rancher that has let his horses be as nature intends (no wormers, vaccinations, hoof trimming, etc). I also saw them try and nurse on their mama who is onsite- which according to the owner they still do occasionally.

They need to be handled more and broken, but they are gentle and tame now.

I've never broken a horse before, but do have a few years of riding experience and knowledge. I'm hoping breaking a mini would be easy enough for a "beginner" to do.

I'd love to give them a loving, safe home. I plan on a farrier coming out for a trimming right away, and a vet for their wormers/vaccinations.

Since I'm pretty new to this - I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself in too deep and just want to hear some general feedback!

Thanks!

equiniphile 11-23-2012 11:04 PM

Welcome to the forum!

If you want a small horse for kids to ride, please don't buy a miniature. They're not bred or built to be riding animals. I would suggest a small pony, and one that is already broke. "Been there, done that" is a good description of what you should be looking for.

It's generally not a good idea for kids to grow up alongside young horses. They're unpredictable and dangerous, even as small ponies. It takes a LOT of experience to bring a horse along under saddle, and it's not something one should take on lightly. I think you and your kids would have a much better introduction into the horse world by taking lessons on a quiet horse from a qualified instructor that can point you in the direction of a good pony for your kids.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 11-23-2012 11:09 PM

I agree ^^^
Posted via Mobile Device

mpnosel 11-23-2012 11:27 PM

Thank you for such a prompt response! I really appreciate the advice!

I totally understand about kids and young horses - I was hoping that a mini pony would be a bit different since they're so tiny. I actually do work with an instructor now and take lessons.

I guess I should also maybe clarify what I mean by riding.. my kids are toddlers and once the ponies are fully broke I was thinking of rides on a lead line around the property (not anything much more serious than that). I was also imagining sleigh rides in the winter, and training them to pull carts as well.

Do you think that still sounds like too much?

And does light riding actually hurt a miniature because of their build? I certainly wouldn't want that.

If a mini is really a poor option even for lead-line rides, I think I would still be interested in them for the carts/sleighs and for just a sweet pet to love up on! Or would you still recommend a different option?

Just trying to find the best fit for my family right now. Thanks!

OutOfTheLoop 11-24-2012 12:07 AM

I don't think a small toddler is going to hurt a mature mini. But what about when the kids grow and they want bigger horses? I would start with ponies that they can stick with longer. Ponies can pull carts and sleighs as well. With the minis only being a year old, by the time they are broke and mature, your kids are going to be too big for them. I know they are cute, bit think long term.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArabianGrace 11-24-2012 01:55 AM

I agree with getting a pony instead of a mini.

littrella 11-24-2012 10:08 AM

I agree, minis are cute & fun, but ifyou want something for your kids to ride, mini's are not it. They may not even want to ride when their older. Ask your trainer to help you find an older "babysitter" type horse. Something you can lead them on safley & ride yourself

ilovepets 11-24-2012 05:10 PM

^^ i agree with everyone. i think a pony would be a smart choice to add to your family :-) of course getting a pony doesnt mean you cant have a mini for its friend. as long as you have the money and the room and the horses get along- go for it! some people might not follow this because minis are small and cute, but you have to treat them like other bigger horses!! my friend has a sweet mini but when it comes to bathing she gets very... mean. so we treat her like a big horse. i hope any decision you make goes well for you and your kids :-)

mpnosel 11-26-2012 12:02 AM

Sounds like I'm going to have to look into a pony!

Those mini's were so darn tempting though!! ( :

I really appreciate the advice. Thanks!