The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   I need a "calming" feed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/i-need-calming-feed-144501/)

Hawksnest Farm 11-24-2012 06:29 AM

I need a "calming" feed

I have been using Purina Strategy Healthy Edge for my two geldings (4 and 18 years old). I think it is giving them too much energy - especially my 4 year old. Can anyone recommend a calmer, pelletized feed? Currently I give about a quart and 1/2 at both feedings with plenty of hay all day.

poppy1356 11-24-2012 07:42 AM

First of all you need to weigh the feed, then see where that lines up with on the feed chart on the bag. You might be feeding more than you should be.

Instead of changing the feed why not lower the amount? Does your horse need to gain weight? In work?

themacpack 11-24-2012 09:19 AM

What do the horses need to get from whatever feed you choose for them? Are they in hard work and/or needing to put weight on or are you wanting to feed them a supplemental feed because.....? How much exercise does each horse see in a week? Are they kept stalled or pastured? What type of hay are they being given? What is their current condition?

Hawksnest Farm 11-24-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1770157)
What do the horses need to get from whatever feed you choose for them? Are they in hard work and/or needing to put weight on or are you wanting to feed them a supplemental feed because.....? How much exercise does each horse see in a week? Are they kept stalled or pastured? What type of hay are they being given? What is their current condition?

Yeah...I was in a rush this morning. I should have given better info. These are backyard horses, ridden for pleasure trail rides only. Exercised once, maybe twice a week on trails. Little bit of ring work, no shows and not working horses. Both of them in good shape - they don't need to gain/lose weight. They are stalled but have in/out...no grazing though - good quality timothy hay 3 times a day. I'm thinking Purina Omelene 100??

poppy1356 11-24-2012 05:37 PM

If they don't need to gain or lose weight and they aren't training for anything why are you feeding them up with hot calories?? Any omelene will have sugars.

I just don't understand overfeeding unnecissary food??

jaydee 11-24-2012 05:51 PM

Most non competitive horses in light pleasure work will cope just fine on good hay alone. Mine dont do much in the winter and I'm loosing them down now as once it snows its just 'ticking over' only, a couple of days a week at a local indoor arena or on our own if we can keep the snow and ice off it.
I give them just a small amount of Sentinal senior with a bit of sugar beet and either chop or hay stretcher pellets - so little its more of a treat than a feed.
I add a magnesium and chromium supplement too it
As for high energy - that might be just how they are, mine are like that if I fed them on cardboard but I have a friend who could feed her (healthy) pony on rocket fuel and it would still plod along

Saddlebag 11-24-2012 06:20 PM

If you want to give them something, alfalfa pellets are good. A pound a each feeding is plenty. Pellets often weigh a pound if you use a one lb marg. container. No matter how you change it up do it gradually over 4 or 5 days. The 18 yr old should be on senior feed pellets as it's designed for the needs of older horses. Even when feeding two lbs day you should see a difference in his coat in about 30 days.

mandee28 11-24-2012 06:29 PM

I was amazed at the fact that there is so much sugar in feed out there! I was doing some research and found that if you have a hot horse that there are feeds out there with less to no sugar in them. One in particular I found at Tractor Supply Center is called MaxEGlo and specifically says "reduces hyperactivity". I had the same issue and Poppy1356 asked me what I was feeding- She got my butt in gear to think about the feed- not the personality. Thank you Poppy1356!

Tiamo 11-24-2012 07:39 PM

You can switch to just a vitamin/mineral supplement if they don't need to gain weight

verona1016 11-25-2012 03:24 PM

If they're easy keepers in light work, then they should be fine on hay and a ration balancer: basically all the protein and nutrients of a feed like Strategy, but low calorie and fed in small amounts. I really like the one Triple Crown makes (30% Supplement) as it's very low in sugar/starch, but most feed companies make a similar product. Purina's is called Enrich 32.