The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   This horse looks like a ________ horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-looks-like-________-horse-144509/)

eeo11horse 11-24-2012 10:05 AM

This horse looks like a ________ horse.

3 Attachment(s)
What does he look like he could do (western)? WP, barrels, working cattle, reining, etc. He's a 11 year old, (appendix) QH.

eeo11horse 11-24-2012 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's his pedigree

eeo11horse 11-24-2012 10:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hoK...I&feature=plcp
Here's a link to a video of him longing- sorry I couldn't figure out how to get it on here.

Iseul 11-24-2012 10:09 AM

I don't know anything about his breeding..but he looks like a good candidate for barrels, cowhorse, and some reining to me.(: But, I'm also bias a bit because the majority of horses I like and would be willing to have in my pasture would look like such, haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

eeo11horse 11-24-2012 10:11 AM

He's kinda bred for speed racing and barrel racing. He actually raced twice when he was a two year old.

EquineCookies 11-24-2012 01:02 PM

Barrels/gaming, cow horse, reining. He's definitely got that stock type. Could do some WP with him too, actually. Very nice looking - I greatly prefer the stock type QH over the lanky racing type!
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 11-24-2012 02:39 PM

He is race bred. He looks a lot like some of the older lines of Quarterhorses and he is built quite down hill. Because he is not really working on the long line (I hesitate to call it lunging.. as he is just going around in a halter w/o a proper set up or anyone asking him to think and work). He is just trotting around and cantering around like all that is being done is exercising him. His pace and demeanor is "Ho Hum.. I am doing this and I am so bored.." He is even half asleep in the still shots! LOL

He does not look like a WP horse to me.. and as to the other disciplines you have to try him and see if he shows more interest than he does trotting and cantering around at the end of a rope.

He has decent conformation.. a bit long in the back and as said previously, downhill. He is also quite fat.

If he loses weight, gets in better condition and wakes up to some challenge put in front of him, be it cattle, barrels or any other discipline I think he might be quite good. He has to get in shape and show interest to excel.

27cfmd 11-24-2012 03:31 PM

He reminds me of a steer wrestling horse. But like the others said he doesn't really look like a western pleasure horse however I am sure you could do pretty much anything with him.

Cherie 11-24-2012 04:30 PM

He is 75% racing lines so I would say barrels or some other speed event would be what his breeding was most suited for.

His hocks are pretty high to look at him for reining or cow work plus he is not bred to go that direction. Same with western pleasure. He is not bred to go that direction either.

Does he move very flat kneed and smoothly? If so, he could go hunt seat.

What he can do is mostly up to what his basic nature and disposition wants to do as well as depending on how well he moves. You can't go hunt seat or western pleasure with a horse that has high knee action and looks like he is pedaling a bicycle. So movement and desire play a lot bigger part if a horse is not bred for a specific job or discipline.

spurstop 11-24-2012 09:26 PM

Too much knee to be a rail horse. Depending on how broke he is, you could take him in the pattern classes.