The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

at what age can you back a horse?

5K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  CessBee 
#1 ·
Hi I was wondering at what age you can start riding a young horse?

#4 ·
I lightly back my babies bareback when they're around 2-2 1/2, sometimes 3, put a few easy rides on them and put them back out for the winter. I'm light, 115 lbs soaking wet, I doubt a few rides throughout the summer is going to hurt them. So far all the horses I've known to be started at two are still very much sound, with some even still competing. Granted, we take it easy and don't start real work until late three, early four and hell, my geldings six and doesn't know the meaning of wet saddle blankets yet, but a good solid foundation goes a long way.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Agree completely, 3 is the earliest to put any weight on them. Normally I'll do every ounce of ground work and line driving I can before then to give them the best possible start.
Some people take it to the extreme and get x-rays waiting for the growth plates to fuse before they'll ride a horse (which can be upwards of 5-6 years in some breeds). I would love to do this, but typically I just back them and do light work for the first while any time after 3 - depending on mental ability too.

#6 ·
I like 2, get them doing some easy basics, then be done till 3 or 4.

I have a 2 yr old right now, he's like a been there done that 25 yr old in his head. Majorly chill and awesome. Better than a bunch of older horses I've been on.

No serious riding still. I have saddled him, taught him to go, stop and turn. Can also get him to trot.
But really usually just get in him bareback and walk around, just to ask him to do those simple things.

#8 ·
It really depends on the individual horse, OP. Some horses are capable of handling that sort of thing at 2-2 1/2, others are not. If you think about it, some 3 year olds often appear more like a gangly 1 1/2 year old, and some 2 year olds look and behave like 4 year olds. This is where having a good, solid base of being able to judge that will come into play. Do you have a particular horse you are preparing to start? If so, providing photos would help to at least give people an idea of the horse's physical readiness (glaring "not ready" signs will be pretty obvious - even though one can't see the internal structures).

#9 ·
It really depends on the individual horse, OP. Some horses are capable of handling that sort of thing at 2-2 1/2, others are not. If you think about it, some 3 year olds often appear more like a gangly 1 1/2 year old, and some 2 year olds look and behave like 4 year olds. This is where having a good, solid base of being able to judge that will come into play. Do you have a particular horse you are preparing to start? If so, providing photos would help to at least give people an idea of the horse's physical readiness (glaring "not ready" signs will be pretty obvious - even though one can't see the internal structures).
My horse is one and a half and i wanted to try riding him in late summer. his birthday is in may and he is really big already.

#10 ·
I don't think it particularly matters how large the horse is. It's more a matter of how far along they are in their physical development. Working a lot on a young horse whose growth plates haven't fused can cause some damage (in my opinion one of the reasons that a 5 year old is considered "old" in Thoroughbred racing...they've been ridden hard way too early).

#13 ·
I don't think I would start him that early, the size of the horse doesn't mean they are completely ready to be ridden. If that were true you could start ridding Clydesdales at one! I agree with what themacpack said in his original post. I personally wouldn't start ridding him until he was three and then only start with very light stuff

#14 ·
I have a 2 1/2 year old Gypsy cross colt, I wouldn't even think of backing him for at least another year - he's still leggy and not filled out in the barrel, he's just starting to really come together as a 'horse'. Which tells me his growth plates are no where near close enough to be ready to hold weight - despite his great size.
If you're not sure have you vet come out and look at him and ask your vets opinion whether or not they're ready - they may suggest taking some x-rays to see how far along his development really is. I'd always rather be safe than sorry and extra year of ground work isn't going to hurt anything ;)

#15 ·
I have never personally started or backed a horse. But if it was me I would wait till 4 or 5. Just gives them more opportunity to have the cartilage to harden and allows the mind to mature more. Do as much ground work and sacking out as possible. When I read broke 2 year old or 3 year old, red flags go up. And when I see started on pattern at 2.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 · (Edited)
It really depends on the individual horse. All horse mature at different paces. Horses who tend to be on the bigger side (like lets say 16.2-17hh+) are usually slower matures. People seem to think JUST because the horse is big, automatically means that the horse is mature enough for somebody to ride it, which is false.

I have my 2 year old (shes going to be 3 on the 21st of January) who I started a while ago when she was 2 1/2.

Its one thing to get on them and do small basics, like this is how you turn, etc. and doing minimal circles and turns as possible.

As long as you know what you are doing and keep it short you shouldn't have any trouble.

I should add that the reason I can start my horse at this age is because 1. Shes definitely mentally mature enough, she has the behavior of a 21 year old. I kid you not. 2. She is a very strong horse, we've had a vet check her and he thought that she could start light training about now.

Always talk to a vet about this stuff too, it doesn't hurt.

#17 ·
Ah yes Sorrel is back.

I won't give you the lengthy speech, just get your crosses and torches out now. :lol:

I start riding at two. None of my horses are lame, their legs haven't fallen off, they are progressing amazingly and their minds are sound and they could pass any and every vet check with flying colors.

That's all. :D

#24 ·
Do your research properly, don't just ask on here. Go find information on when horse's growth plates fuse, and information on what riding before they do can do to your horse. Then make your own mind up from an educated stand-point. There are people who don't know and don't care about this information, who start horses when they think it is right, and there are people who know and still don't care. Don't let yourself be led by the "I did it this way and my horse's are all amazing" crowd - make your own mind up by actually researching the issues.

#26 ·
Hes BEAUTIFUL! However, yes he does look a bit immature yet.

Possibly wait until shes 2 1/2 and see how hes looking. From then-on determine whether you want to ride him now or later.

Also it wouldn't hurt to get an x-ray and see where the horse's back/knees are for developing. It would be a good idea to see where they are in development.

Good luck! I really like him!

Reactions: PunksTank
#27 ·
I didn't put a saddle on my filly till she was 2 1/2. She'll be 3 in May, so I started doing my research on when growth plates fuse. Apparently, it's commonly believed that horses develop at different rates. Based on whatever...breed, size etc. That has been proven FALSE!! All horses develop at the same speed regardless, except for their backs. I would wait on your horse, it won't hurt him. I might consider light riding at 2 1/2...being 15 min rides at a walk and a small amount of trot. Then let him sit for a while.

#29 ·
Yup, commonly held belief but incorrect. I think people might have got confused at some point between physical and mental maturity - certainly some breeds and some horses are mentally ready for training sooner than others, but their joints all fuse at roughly the same time.

I'd not back a horse til it was 3 myself, there's so much time in a horse's life it makes little sense to rush them. And there's heaps else that you can perfect on the ground that so many horses don't have down pat (to their owner's frustration) like loading, spending time away from the herd, ground tying, picking up feet politely and other stuff that those of us who have adult horses would have loved their original trainer to put in before they weighed 550kg...
Posted via Mobile Device

#28 · (Edited)
I prefer no earlier than 3, better 4. Ground driving and groundwork (appropriate for the age and physical maturity) until that to get the horse accepting to human interaction and responsive to cues that can be later used when ridden. There is no need to rush anything and to get on their backs as fast as possible - the longer we take, the longer we let them mature at their own pace, the longer we will have healthy, happy, long-living horses that will be glad to give us a ride even after their twenties. A horse that is backed too soon has more risk to break down sooner in life...

#32 ·
Depends on the horse and breed.
Ive had Arabians and started them out at four. "Small stature"
Recently got a Reg Appy with Thoroughbred blood in the lines who was trained at two..He's a big horse...
I hear that when you press on their backs if it gives they are not ready and if it dont give then they are ready.. (Old timer tips)
Everyone has their own opinion on this with some truth to each each one..You have to decide on if yours is ready or not.

#33 ·
The thing people think about with two year olds is that they are going to be ridden hard and broken down....Futurity and derby people breed that aspect.

As far as I'm concerned, my horses get started at two, and if I feel they need time off or weren't ready they'll get turned back out. If they do great, I don't push but I keep poking away at them. If they are ready to be shown in the derby/futurities, fantastic, we'll do it. If not? Oh well, they can show in the older crowd. Whatever. However, you get some people who just ride and ride and push their babies hard to meet the timeframe that end up breaking their horse down. I don't believe in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.