The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Strawberry roan? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/strawberry-roan-144546/)

nikelodeon79 11-24-2012 04:05 PM

Strawberry roan?

In my quest to learn more about horse coloring, I was wondering about my late pony, Bandit. I was told he was a "strawberry roan" welsh pony. What color was he?

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...rses/bandb.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...dit_Kim2-1.jpg

He did have white hairs all throughout his coat in a fairly even pattern. He also had a long, skinny slightly uneven white marking on his belly. I'll see if I can dig up some old pics that show it.

MangoRoX87 11-24-2012 04:27 PM

Strawberry roan is not a color. It's a red roan that has flaxen, just a made up silly name :P

If anything, he might have rabicano, but he doesn't look roan to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reno Bay 11-24-2012 04:33 PM

From those pictures, nothing particularly screams roan to me. He looks plain chestnut, unless he was very minimally roan (if that's possible). The white hairs could have been from a variety of things, and the white splotches on his belly were probably the result of a pinto gene.

Typically when I hear "roan" I think of something similar to this: Strawberry Roan by ~xrockinrobynstock on deviantART

Reno Bay 11-24-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1770563)
Strawberry roan is not a color. It's a red roan that has flaxen, just a made up silly name :P

Posted via Mobile Device

Strawberry roan is a commonly used term for chestnut roan. Wouldn't it be so much easier if we all just said bay roan, black roan, chestnut roan, palomino sabino roan? XD

nikelodeon79 11-24-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Yes I know... That's why I asked what color he really was. ;-)

I'll see if I can dig up some better pics. He doesn't look like a traditional roan to me, but the uniform "ticking" of white hairs throughout his coat was interesting and not like anything I've seen on any other chestnut (and I have lots of them, lol).

It was much more apparent in person. Most people asked me if he was POA, which I suppose he could have been. I never had any papers on him.
Posted via Mobile Device

OutOfTheLoop 11-24-2012 05:35 PM

He doesn't look roan to me. My gelding has some white ticking that gets worse with age, but he's not roan. Cuteittle sorrel pony though.
Posted via Mobile Device

SunnyMeadeFarm 11-24-2012 06:30 PM

Hmm, I agree he doesn't look Strawberry/Chestnut/Red Roan, You said he had an uneven white mark on his belly? That is a very common trait of Sabino, and might help explain the white hairs. My own pony is sabino and has a belly spot. So I would say he was a Chestnut (I don't think his manes light enough to be Flaxen) Sabino.
and a very handsome one at that :)

Poseidon 11-24-2012 07:52 PM

I'm leaning towards sabino also. It's very common for red horses to have white hairs ticked all over them, but with as many as you've mentioned to be mistaken for a roan or Appy/POA in addition to the uneven white marking on its belly, it sounds much more like sabino.

Foxhunter 11-25-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

If strawberry roan is a made up colour then it has been made up for a heck of a long time!

It is mentioned in a book I have that was printed in 1880.

BarrelRacingLvr 11-25-2012 05:52 PM

If the horse has a white streak/spot on its belly along with roaning of the barrel I am going to lean more towards Sabino then Strawberry roan.