The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   horse approved clippers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/horse-approved-clippers-144563/)

huntergrl 11-24-2012 05:50 PM

horse approved clippers?

I was looking at cordless clippers, and just started wondering if the ones sold in horse shops are the same as ones sold for humans. Will a good regular set do the same good job or are they specifically designed for horse hair?

Foxtail Ranch 11-24-2012 08:35 PM

Human clippers are made for much finer hair. Go for horse clippers definitely!
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 11-24-2012 08:39 PM

you need horse clippers and even then you need to buy according to what you want to do with them

Casey02 11-25-2012 11:58 AM

I use a dog clippers and it works just fine....then again I don't ever clip the whole body, just tidy up parts in the summer (ears, muzzle, bridle path ect)

Saddlebag 11-25-2012 03:17 PM

There blades are what makes the difference.

countercanter 11-28-2012 08:33 PM

For my little clippers (for whiskers, ears, fetlocks, etc.) I have a pair I bought in the men's hair section at Walmart, those are the same as the ones sold at the tack store. But for big clippers (for body clipping) I would definitely pick up some horse specific ones. And it is the blade that makes the difference, but you also want a pair of clippers that re up to the job you need them to do.

farmpony84 11-28-2012 08:37 PM

I ought a pair of pink osters that have been awesome. I have in the past used dog clippers with no issue but the horse ones do a much better job I think.

HorseCrazyTeen 11-28-2012 11:34 PM

I'd get some horse clippers. They do much better.

Muppetgirl 11-29-2012 12:21 AM

' horse approved clippers?' lol, I've not known of a horse that's approved of em, but they will accept em:lol:

I used to clip horses as a side job.....when you look for your clippers, please do check on the price of replacement blades/sharpening......sometimes the price of sharpening a few sets of blades or replacing the blades can cost more than the clippers.....it's a real money grab:evil:

HorseCrazyTeen 11-29-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1777037)
' horse approved clippers?' lol, I've not known of a horse that's approved of em, but they will accept em:lol:

That's what I thought when I first saw the title, too! LOL