The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Horse injury from riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horse-injury-riding-144574/)

turner n burner 11-24-2012 08:09 PM

Horse injury from riding

Hi! I am new to horses, and we recently got a new horse that someone gave me and she was in the pasture for seven years. We have had here for about two months. And I have been working with her in her barrel and pole pattern. I have been taking it slow because I know she is not in shape. Yesterday I noticed she kinda was limping so I got off and picked a rock out of her hoof. today her ankle is swollen and she limps when she trots with me in her. but when she walks she does not favor it. I put some ice gel stuff on her. Does anybody know what could have happen? And how long could it take to heal? Thanks!

Saskia 11-24-2012 08:34 PM

She could have had a bruised sole, or if the rock was sticking out maybe she sprained it a little?

I don't know how long. If it gets worse or doesn't improve over a few days I'd call a vet out.

nvr2many 11-24-2012 08:41 PM

Could have a stone bruise, and if that turns into an abscess it could be three weeks for it to resolve. Once they burst the worst is passed. Keep an eye on it.

LynnF 11-24-2012 08:53 PM

Horses can stumble and twist or sprain their joints just like we can. Give her some time off from riding and cold hose the swollen joint twice a day. If you are not seeing any improvement after a day or two call a vet.

turner n burner 11-24-2012 09:02 PM

Well, it's not her hoof that is swollen it is her ankle I am worried it may be a suspensory ligament injury. What do you think about that? What could I do for it?

nvr2many 11-24-2012 09:19 PM

Hooves do not swell, the ankle or leg can with an abscess. Good luck and let us know what it is when you find out.

xxBarry Godden 11-25-2012 04:30 PM

Working a horse which has not been worked for seven years calls for sensitivity on the part of the handler. Before you try in training anything which might 'stretch' the horse physically calls for sensitivity on the part of the handler.

What you need now is a vet:
partly to treat the horse and
partly to educate you about the nature of the injury,
and what to do about bringing the horse back sound
and how to treat it whilst it is recuperating.

Also one other issue - presumably you check the horse's feet before you exercise it - regardless of whether it has shoes or not.

PS It is a good idea to make contact with a local horse vet before you have need for his/her services

turner n burner 11-25-2012 04:38 PM

Here swelling seems to have gone down some. I am going to see how she does within the next few days and then call the vet if she does not improve. Thanks for the help!