The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bell Boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bell-boots-144578/)

OnTarget324 11-24-2012 08:55 PM

Bell Boots

So I'm getting my horse some new bell boots and I had a question. Sheepskin over no sheepskin? My current ones don't have sheep skin and they rub him raw, but these are weighted. So I was thinking getting the ones you pull on so he can have those on to run around in with his shoes in the paddock, and sheepskin for when I ride?
What're your thoughts??

kitten_Val 11-24-2012 09:06 PM

My qh has pull-on rubber boots (cheapest possible) 24/7 and never had rubs. Frankly, I'm not a fan of sheepskin, partially because it's a pain to clean, partially because it adds heat to the leg IMHO.

OnTarget324 11-24-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1770907)
My qh has pull-on rubber boots (cheapest possible) 24/7 and never had rubs. Frankly, I'm not a fan of sheepskin, partially because it's a pain to clean, partially because it adds heat to the leg IMHO.

Yea I havent had the pull on so I wasnt sure if theyd rub him... THank you :-)

kitten_Val 11-24-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTarget324 (Post 1770915)
Yea I havent had the pull on so I wasnt sure if theyd rub him... THank you :-)

OT, if you need boots just for riding (so you take them on and off) I'd go with those with velcros. Pull-ons are HARD to pull on. Haha!

I don't take mine off (because my horse manages to cut herself), so pull-ons are the only type that hold up in turn-out.

OnTarget324 11-24-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1770925)
OT, if you need boots just for riding (so you take them on and off) I'd go with those with velcros. Pull-ons are HARD to pull on. Haha!

I don't take mine off (because my horse manages to cut herself), so pull-ons are the only type that hold up in turn-out.

Yea my horse is quite destructive, and after this winter he is getting shoes, and I dont want him pulling a shoe when he's outside. I also already have velcro, and those rub him. I'd put them looser but they'd either be too loose or tight enough to rub. He's a 3 year old Saddlebred clips his front legs with his back sometimes so I'm not sure what to do right now /: