The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   The race where horses die (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/race-where-horses-die-144623/)

gwlnl 11-25-2012 03:42 AM

The race where horses die

The Suicide Race is a horse race held every year, during the second week of August, in Omak, Washington. Over a span of four days and nights, riders repeatedly run their horses off Suicide Hill with a 120-foot galloping start. Horses blindly plunge more than 210 feet down a slope that event organizer's often boast as an "almost vertical... 62-degree angle." At breakneck speed, the horses then meet the Okanogan River. Entry into the river is narrow, causing bottlenecks and horrendous multiple-horse spills.

The horses have suffered heart attacks from over exertion, broken bones from shocking collisions and tumbles, and even horrifying death by drowning. race has provoked serious concerns among animal welfare and animals rights groups.

In the previous 25 years at least 21 horses have died, including three in 2004 and one in 2012.

EvilHorseOfDoom 11-25-2012 04:27 AM

While it is indeed a horrible race and awful idea, 21 deaths in 25 years is not that many (not quite as many as the English Grand National, which has had 24 deaths in the past 25 years). And for me there are way more horses affected by indiscriminate breeding leading to oversupply and neglect (just look at the proliferation of minis and the number that are living in pretty dreadful conditions). So for me, I guess there are higher priorities than one admittedly awful race that causes the death of just under one horse a year...

franknbeans 11-25-2012 05:44 AM

OP-you also do not need to post duplicate posts to get attention. Just FYI.

Speed Racer 11-25-2012 06:56 AM

You should also know that begging for money is a big no-no.

People aren't unaware of this race, and I don't think giving you money so you can film a vanity project is a good way to spread awareness. Why don't you contact someone who does documentary films?

Plus, claiming part of the money given will go to the HSUS doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. They're in bed with PETA, and I don't give money to terrorist groups.

Cherie 11-25-2012 04:51 PM

I would never give one single penny to any cause that I thought was supported by the HSUS or that supported the HSUS. I am 100% against HSUS, PETA, ALF and ALL OTHER animal rights groups as all of them are opposed to animal ownership and and 'use'. They are some of the most active 'terrorists' in America.

I fully support legitimate animal welfare causes, but animal rights groups make my blood boil.

Cherie

themacpack 11-25-2012 04:53 PM

Well, that went over like a fart in church........

bsms 11-25-2012 05:14 PM

I was thinking "turd in a punch bowl"...

PurpleMonkeyWrench 11-25-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1771945)

lol :lol:

wetrain17 11-26-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1771939)
I would never give one single penny to any cause that I thought was supported by the HSUS or that supported the HSUS. I am 100% against HSUS, PETA, ALF and ALL OTHER animal rights groups as all of them are opposed to animal ownership and and 'use'. They are some of the most active 'terrorists' in America.

I fully support legitimate animal welfare causes, but animal rights groups make my blood boil.

Cherie

Take that Sarah McLachlan!

Elizabeth Bowers 11-27-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1771945)

omg :rofl::rofl: