The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Managing a ride (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/managing-ride-144665/)

jillybean19 11-25-2012 02:31 PM

Managing a ride
 
Anyone with experience (Steph, I know you're on here somewhere...)?? We're putting together an endurance club when I move to Oregon and people have shown a lot of interest. One person even said she'd like to host a ride on her family's 6000-acre property - it has roads and trails, but we'd need top map and connect them. I know putting on a ride will be a HUGE endeavor, so I'm interested in what others have to say about managing a ride.

Where do we start?
Who do we need to contact and/or get involved?
What is our "checklist" of tasks?
How can we maximize our chances of at least breaking even, if not making a profit? (I am given to understand that making a large profit is not likely)
What costs are involved? Estimates?
And what else that I'm just not thinking of at the moment?

phantomhorse13 11-25-2012 06:48 PM

I can't answer any of those questions myself, but a friend who does ride manage has talked about a yahoo ride managers group. If u are interested, I can ask her for the info. I would think they would be a wealth of knowledge.

And I wish I was closer!!

Joe4d 11-25-2012 07:03 PM

Join and then contact AERC, tons of info and they will bend over backwards getting you set up. Look at the AERC calendar and find a ride near you go volunteer and you will start getting an idea of what is involved.

Painted Horse 11-25-2012 07:18 PM

You will need to look at the AERC calendar and picka date. They usually have some protection for existing rides. So you can't put a ride on the same date as previously scheduled ride. Unless you are x number of miles away from that conflicting ride. So look at what rides are scheduled and pick a date when you want to do your ride and nothing else is scheduled close by.

Once you have a date submit it to AERC for sanctioning. They will send you a check list for follow deadlines that need to be submitted to them.

You will need to purchased insurance for the ride. More than likely AERC will dictate who they want you to purchase that insurance from.

If any of the ride is held on Forest Service, or BLM, or State lands. You will need to secure a permit from the managing agency. The Forest Service for example will have a multiple page application that needs to be filled out with a permit fee. They will also want 10% of the revenue generated and will a liability policy naming them as beneficiary. They will also have guidelines for any trail markers you put up, when you can put them up, when they have to be removed by etc.

You will need to line up your vets/judges for the ride.

Most all of the above is done in the fall before the ride. In the spring or summer, you will have to start on the following.

Map your trail. Submit the mileage to AERC for approval.
Start working on your awards, ribbons, prizes etc.
Any entertainment, BBQ's, meals etc.
Getting water or any other necessities hauled into base camp. Porta Potties, water tanks for horses, camping for riders, pavilions to meet under if the weather turns, etc
You will need to line up volunteers to ribbon the trail the day or two before the ride and after the ride to pull ribbons.
Volunteers for P&Rs

These are just a few of the things that I remember from the rides I've managed.

Joe4d 11-25-2012 07:24 PM

the landowner could also put the word out, "I have X" land and X miles of trails and am willingv to host an AERC event, need an experienced RM. Then your club can host it, and you could assistant RM. learn for next year.

jillybean19 11-25-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantomhorse13 (Post 1772135)
I can't answer any of those questions myself, but a friend who does ride manage has talked about a yahoo ride managers group. If u are interested, I can ask her for the info. I would think they would be a wealth of knowledge.

And I wish I was closer!!

Yes Yes Yes! Thank you :)

jillybean19 11-25-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1772161)
Join and then contact AERC, tons of info and they will bend over backwards getting you set up. Look at the AERC calendar and find a ride near you go volunteer and you will start getting an idea of what is involved.

Already a member - thanks for reminding me what a great resource they are!

jillybean19 11-25-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 1772194)
You will need to look at the AERC calendar and picka date. They usually have some protection for existing rides. So you can't put a ride on the same date as previously scheduled ride. Unless you are x number of miles away from that conflicting ride. So look at what rides are scheduled and pick a date when you want to do your ride and nothing else is scheduled close by.

Yes, a friend of mine had a snafu with those lately so I have seen first hand how the X number of miles thing affects the rides.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 1772194)
Once you have a date submit it to AERC for sanctioning. They will send you a check list for follow deadlines that need to be submitted to them.

Great! That's exactly the information I'll need, so I'm glad to know I'll get that from them and when.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 1772194)
You will need to purchased insurance for the ride. More than likely AERC will dictate who they want you to purchase that insurance from.

How much does insurance usually run?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 1772194)
If any of the ride is held on Forest Service, or BLM, or State lands. You will need to secure a permit from the managing agency. The Forest Service for example will have a multiple page application that needs to be filled out with a permit fee. They will also want 10% of the revenue generated and will a liability policy naming them as beneficiary. They will also have guidelines for any trail markers you put up, when you can put them up, when they have to be removed by etc.

I'm not sure how many miles of trails would be in her 6000 acres, but I think the entire ride will be on private land. This seems to be an advantage given this explanation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 1772194)
You will need to line up your vets/judges for the ride.

How do I find those?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 1772194)
Most all of the above is done in the fall before the ride. In the spring or summer, you will have to start on the following.

Map your trail. Submit the mileage to AERC for approval.
Start working on your awards, ribbons, prizes etc.
Any entertainment, BBQ's, meals etc.
Getting water or any other necessities hauled into base camp. Porta Potties, water tanks for horses, camping for riders, pavilions to meet under if the weather turns, etc
You will need to line up volunteers to ribbon the trail the day or two before the ride and after the ride to pull ribbons.
Volunteers for P&Rs

These are just a few of the things that I remember from the rides I've managed.

I think we'll probably be doing this in a bit of a reverse order. If we committed to this, we'd want to have our ride in 2014, so we're going to spend next year exploring the land and scouting trails. As we do that, we'll probably figure out a rough map, planning water, figuring out camping and accessibility, and planning the other details that will need to be finalized closer to the ride. Once we've explored it and decided it's a feasible thing, then we'll get the paperwork into AERC. At least that's my idea of how our timeline will probably work ;)

This post was very helpful and got me even more excited about having a ride!

jillybean19 11-25-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1772208)
the landowner could also put the word out, "I have X" land and X miles of trails and am willingv to host an AERC event, need an experienced RM. Then your club can host it, and you could assistant RM. learn for next year.

We'll have to see if someone in the area would be willing to manage the ride. I don't necessarily want to be a manager, but I want to make it happen. I just don't know if there's anyone with experience that'd be willing and able to - I guess we'll see!

Joe4d 11-25-2012 11:08 PM

Well you will actually need a AERC certified ride manager, I think you will also need a certified trail master . Contact AERC, I know they maintain a list of endurance vets, Should also have list and contact info for RM... Not certain but I believe Ride manager works on a mentor program, basically you have to be an assitant RM first. Check your magazine for stephanie teeters poc, she is the RM director for your area, magazine has email and phone number for her. Thats who can either answer your questions or tell you who to talk to. unless that was the Steph you were referring to in your OP.

lots of your questions answered here, http://www.aerc.org/Ride_Managers__F...GettingStarted


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0