The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   UGH! Mounting troubles! Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ugh-mounting-troubles-help-14467/)

Sky_Gypsy 09-08-2008 09:15 PM

UGH! Mounting troubles! Help!

Hello,
My friend left for college and asked if I could work with her tb a little each week while she is gone. At first I was excited but he's an 8 year old that clearly think he's still 2. He throws temper tantrums!

He hasn't been off the track long, maybe six months so i understand a bit but I don't want him to think he can get away with not listening to me. He just won't stand still at all and with my short legs I just can't hop on him. I tried facing him in a corner but he just won't stay put.

I've tried ground manners with a lead rope, having him walk, trot, halt, stand and back up in all kinds of combos and he's starting to listen really well to those and seems to like them. He just doesn't like people on his back.

The people that normally work with him said you have to get rough with him to show him who's boss. How can I earn this horses trust and have him listen to me?

farmpony84 09-09-2008 10:02 AM

I would tie him. I don't think Race horses have to stand still for mounting, they just throw the jockey on and head out. He probably doesnt have really good ground manners anyway. I'd tie him while you clean stalls and then go get your tack, take a pee break, change your clothes... If he were at your house I'd say tie him for an hour a day but since you'll only be seeing him a few times a week, tie him as long as you can each time so that he learns to stand. And when you mount, do your best to make him stand while you mount, if you are doing it by yourself it will be hard but you can do it...

I used to have to tie my walking horse to a fence while I mounted but that really is NOT adviceable. I never had issues, I would get on and then lean down and unclip the leadrope (I rode w/ a halter on) but that isnt a good practice, bad things can happen so I would NOT suggest it....

But if you have time, I would start by tying the horse for long amounts of time.

My2Geldings 09-12-2008 06:34 AM

I agree with tying him. Get him used to having to sit there until you tell him he can go. Teach him a lot of things that way. When it comes to mounting I would use the help of someone else. Have someone hold your horse while you get on, then do the same thing when mounted. Get him to stand then walk on once he listens then as ask him to stand somewhere else, then walk on.

It sounds like your friend got the good end of the stick by getting you to work and traine her green horse :lol:

sandy2u1 09-17-2008 01:09 AM

heres something you can try. tack the horse as normal, except tie the reins together and hang them on the saddle horn so that they are secure. get you a long lead rope or a shorter longe line and hook it to his bridal. act like you are going to mount...at the exact moment he starts to walk off, make him run several circles. stop him and try and mount again....keep doing that till he learns that its easier to stand there. oh yeah and when you get on sit there for a few seconds...dont take off. it will work assuming he knows what woah means. Major is a twh and has had the same problem... but he dont like work. I first trained him by following him till he stoped then rewarding him for stopping but that quick working after a while.

DashAwayAll 09-19-2008 01:00 PM

Racehorses are different. They are not taught whoa, or to stand. Movement is encouraged. The jockey is tossed up there. To whoa a racehorse you have to start at the beginning - train like you would a foal.

Another tip - pulling in his mouth will NOT stop a racehorse. That is their cue to lean into the bit and go faster. You really have to sit back.

there are many site dedicated to the re-training of racers after their career is ended. Mine walked away from the track with just about every phobia you can name - head shy ( hood), Clastrophobic ( starting gate), fear of hoses ( cold baths), buddy sour ...

The good news is that they have had all the routine things and tend to stand well - vaccinations, shoeing and what. Mine hates a hose, but looooves a sponge bath. Also.ost racers I have ever encountered are opretty smart - you can retrain their thinking.

DashAwayAll 09-19-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DashAwayAll
Racehorses are different. They are not taught whoa, or to stand. Movement is encouraged. The jockey is tossed up there. To whoa a racehorse you have to start at the beginning - train like you would a foal.

Another tip - pulling in his mouth will NOT stop a racehorse. That is their cue to lean into the bit and go faster. You really have to sit back.

there are many site dedicated to the re-training of racers after their career is ended. Mine walked away from the track with just about every phobia you can name - head shy ( hood), Clastrophobic ( starting gate), fear of hoses ( cold baths), buddy sour, fear of being tied ...

The good news is that they have had all the routine things and tend to stand well - vaccinations, shoeing and what. Mine hates a hose, but looooves a sponge bath. Also.ost racers I have ever encountered are opretty smart - you can retrain their thinking.

Edited to add that I would be very careful with tying him until you know he does well. Personally, I would teach whoa at a walk on a halter first.