The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Good age to start jumping a AQHA? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/good-age-start-jumping-aqha-144672/)

TheAQHAGirl 11-25-2012 03:35 PM

Good age to start jumping a AQHA?

Hello,

I was curious to see what age you should start jumping a horse, particularly a AQHA. I know some people start WAY to young, but others not so much. I was thinking around 4-5? My horse will be 3 in a month, so shes very green right now.

I want to try jumping while shes older just to give her a all around approach, etc.

So I was just wondering, thanks!

myhorsesonador 11-25-2012 03:49 PM

I started my mare on low cross rails at 3 1/2. I only jumped her over 2 or 3 not even every other week.

Oxer 11-25-2012 03:58 PM

the babies we import are normally started very lightly at 3 with under saddle work. To get them used to the idea of jumping, they are simply started over poles. Sometimes the poles will have scary things around them. Flowers, butterfly standards, balloons, empty liverpools, etc. They are usually not started over actual jumps until they are 4, they are then brought up appropriately with their jumping careers, so that they will be able to start showing in the 5 year old circuit. So in short, yes, I agree with 4 or 5 to start real jumping training.

TheAQHAGirl 11-25-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 1771848)
I started my mare on low cross rails at 3 1/2. I only jumped her over 2 or 3 not even every other week.

Thank you, I don't plan on doing the big jumping stuff like what may people do. Since shes not much of a jumper, I only plan on jumping her 2' max (even when shes older).

2-3x when shes older shouldn't give her problems if I don't do it often, right?

Inga 11-25-2012 04:00 PM

I wouldn't even consider jumping before the horse is 4 and then slowly. It pays to wait until they are ready for it so they stay sound.

Mercy 11-25-2012 05:38 PM

I'm kind of wondering the same thing, too. But In my situation, I am wondering what age I should buy a horse to train to be a jumper.

myhorsesonador 11-25-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercy (Post 1772018)
I'm kind of wondering the same thing, too. But In my situation, I am wondering what age I should buy a horse to train to be a jumper.

It depends on what level of training you want the horse to have before you buy it.

Mercy 11-25-2012 11:12 PM

Well, I don't care if the horse isn't already trained to jump, but it should be trained to ride well... I can train the horse to jump, myself ( with my friend's help ).

myhorsesonador 11-25-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercy (Post 1772633)
Well, I don't care if the horse isn't already trained to jump, but it should be trained to ride well... I can train the horse to jump, myself ( with my friend's help ).

Well if you are wanting to "jump" right in :lol: 4-6 would be a good age to look for.

Mercy 11-25-2012 11:28 PM

:-) Love the pun! OK, thanks for your help! Any jumping or buying tips?