The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What is the Stupidest Thing You've Done with your Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-stupidest-thing-youve-done-your-144702/)

Bluebird 11-25-2012 07:17 PM

What is the Stupidest Thing You've Done with your Horse?

Ok, I will open this one with my little story. Although I have bene around Heavy Horses all my life, I never actually started riding one until I was 48. I actually bought my first one at the age of 49 - A gorgeous Clydesdale called Patrick - a 4year old dressage Clydesdale who stands 18hh. Well I tacked him up to take him on a hack and I was very pleased with myself. He looked beautiful. Took him over to the mounting block ( You CANNOT MOUNT AN 18HH HORSE FROM THE GROUND). Got someone to hold him steady for me while I got on. Put my foot in the stirrup and the next thing I knew I was hanging upside down underneath Patricks belly hanging on for dear life and hoping that he wasn't going to move his huge feet and decapitate me. Luckily Patrick is the sweetest horse on the planet and stood totally still while my assistant detangled me from the saddle and Patrick's legs. I had forgotten to tighten his girth strap up. I was quite shaken but Patrick just gave a snort and then nuzzled me before pushing me with his nose as if to say "You Plonker!" Can anyone beat that?

churumbeque 11-25-2012 07:22 PM

Mine isn't stupid but funny. When I was 13 my friend held open the doors and I rode my pony through a fast food restaurant.

Bluebird 11-25-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 1772202)
Mine isn't stupid but funny. When I was 13 my friend held open the doors and I rode my pony through a fast food restaurant.

That was naughty but so much fun! Wish I was a kid again. Wonder what they would think of a 50 year old woman riding a Clydesdale through our local Macdonalds...LOL

riccil0ve 11-25-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 1772202)

I don't know, sounds stupid to me. =P

I managed to throw my surcingle over one of the crossties attached to my filly and tightened it up. Luckily, she only thrashed around enough to break my glasses and give me a black eye before I released her.

When I was young and dumb, I would jump Ricci over large logs and whatnot on the trail. She was never hurt, thank god, but jumping my 16 year old [who's never jumped before, I might add] over such large and unyielding objects was completely stupid. I am so lucky my sweet Ricci is worth her weight in gold and cleared every jump without issue.

The next stupidest thing I've done was overlook letting a friend I was giving lessons to do up the bucking strap before the cinch. When I went to finish tightening her up, she decided to be cinch-y and turned around with intent to nip at me. I slapped her muzzle, got her moving in a circle around me. The saddle started to slip and with the bucking strap nice and snug, it got caught under her belly and she went into a bucking frenzy until she snapped the strap.

*headdesk*

With age comes wisdom though, and I've been **** lucky so far. No one has been injured [but me, haha] from my stupid stunts, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

2muchcoffeeman 11-26-2012 03:07 AM

Well, see, there was this girl ...

(It's funny how all the cautionary tales start out that way ... )

laurapratt01 11-26-2012 12:02 PM

Alright this one's about my mom... She was not the most agile woman at 48 y.o. and someone was helping her mount a 16hh paint horse named Mama. She finally wiggled her way up to the point where she could almost swing her leg over but had gotten her belt caught on the horn.. she was just hanging there helplessly, dangling off of the side of this big mare. We were all laughing so hard we were useless to help her. Mama just stood there and waited while we gathered our wits to help my mom off...

jaydee 11-26-2012 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Too many stupid things to recall. Maybe I start with buying it!!!
Most recent addition to our group of girls - My husband and I went to an auction a few months ago - just to look (as you do) We walked around the horses and admired a chestnut mare, chatted to the owner - daughter lost interest - credible sellers etc and known in the area
Sat to watch sale, lusted after a grey reiner and a roan barrel racer. Too old now for that.
Husband went to the restroom - long queue, then went to get some food and drinks - another very long queue. Came back to find me signing a document and looking very flustered
What's going on?'
"I think I just bought that chestnut mare'
Yes I had, no other bids, owner decided we seemed like a good home for her and she needed her gone. Had to build an extension to our barn to stable her. Oh well.

Tessa7707 11-26-2012 01:27 PM

Well you see, I had just bought this new camera. It had a neat holster that attached to my belt so I had my camera on my hip.
I had just gotten back from a trail ride. I would untack down at the arena where the tack room was and then ride her bareback in her halter up to her stall.
So we're on our way up and we notice that some friends have a couple heifers in the arena that they're moving around.
We thought that looked like fun. So we joined. halter. bareback. yep.
Cow went one way, Horse jumped away, I land on the ground, directly on top of - you guess it - my brand new, 1 week old epic camera. Squished it to smithereens. The rectangular bruise on my hip served as a shameful reminder.
And that is but one of the stupidest things I have ever done with my horse.

Bluebird 11-26-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 1773184)
Too many stupid things to recall. Maybe I start with buying it!!!
Most recent addition to our group of girls - My husband and I went to an auction a few months ago - just to look (as you do) We walked around the horses and admired a chestnut mare, chatted to the owner - daughter lost interest - credible sellers etc and known in the area
Sat to watch sale, lusted after a grey reiner and a roan barrel racer. Too old now for that.
Husband went to the restroom - long queue, then went to get some food and drinks - another very long queue. Came back to find me signing a document and looking very flustered
What's going on?'
"I think I just bought that chestnut mare'
Yes I had, no other bids, owner decided we seemed like a good home for her and she needed her gone. Had to build an extension to our barn to stable her. Oh well.

And I would have done the same!

enzoleya 11-26-2012 09:38 PM

Lol there are some great stories!

I've done a lot of stupid things on horses! Got hurt about every time too... The worst was probably when I rode my mare in what I thought was a dry creak bed. She got stuck, tried to get us out, but only got her knees up on the really steep bank and pretty much rolled over me. My hip is still messed up and that was almost 7 years ago!