The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   thrush?? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/thrush-144713/)

countrylove 11-25-2012 08:10 PM

thrush??

So I havent had a chance to get to the ranch since the day before thanksgiving. I always pick my horses feet and try to monitor them well because she drags her feet and rounds down her toes. My farrier is considering shoes for our December 3rd appointment. My roommate went out to the ranch today and said she noticed thrush on my mares feet. She didnt say if it was one foot, 2, or all four and she really isnt that expierenced or knowledgeable about hooves and health issues which makes me iffy on her opinion. For example we have a wormy mare we just got and she assumes the curly hair is cushings, she claims one mare has ringbone and she doesnt, she is also convinced 3 of the mares are pregnant, its just kinda one thing after another with her. We all kinda just ignore her and shrugs it off. But since I havent been around to see for myself, I am worried. I have never dealt with thrush and am not even sure what Im looking for. Im going to do some research but any advice on how to diagnois and treat is welcome... thanks ahead of time :)
Posted via Mobile Device

jillybean19 11-25-2012 08:18 PM

My horse gets thrushy every now and then and it often happens when the weather changes. Thrush happens in a moist, warm environment in your horse's hoof - usually it's kept warm by mud or manure caked on top of it. For me, it's never been something to worry about - just pick out the feet really well and expose any thrushy areas so the areas can get some fresh air, and I believe you can apply some spray to it as well. I never have and it's always gone away on its own after I expose it and keep his feet clean. If my farrier finds any, she just trims away anything that's dead anyway and gets the thrush off while she's in there. One time, my horse got thrush in his frog because he was shedding it - I pulled off the part that was already coming off and the thrush went away.

It sounds like your friend is full of hot air and you shouldn't listen to her - go check for yourself. Plus, was she picking up your horse's feet and/or picking them out? If not, I don't really see how she could know if your horse's feet had thrush...

SouthernTrails 11-25-2012 08:19 PM

Healthy Hoof - Solutions for Barefoot Performance

jillybean19 11-25-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA (Post 1772320)

Hmmm... after reading that, I think what I have understood to be "thrush" isn't actually thrush as my horses don't have the issues described. What I've called thrush is the black stuff that is occasionally around the frog, and it usually has been when the frog is shedding, but like I said, all I have to do is expose it and it'll shed/go away. My farrier is excellent and has never said anything about my horses having a problem with thrush and their feet are great-looking 99% of the time.

SouthernTrails 11-25-2012 08:30 PM

Most of the time you can smell Thrush when picking the hooves, a smell you don't forget.

We always use a spray solution of 25% bleach and 75% water after cleaning the Hooves, out of 7 Horses we have only had it a few times.

countrylove 11-25-2012 08:32 PM

Im not exactly sure what they were even doing with my horse and the whole story has me pissed off to begin with. My mare is lazy and has no respect for anybody. She was laying in her field and wouldnt get up for my roommate, so she kicked her and hard, this is coming from my roommate. I cant believe she told me she kicked my horse. She also hates my horse because it is hard to demand her respect if you dont know what your doing. She said that her hoof was packed to the point of the foot wasnt even touching the ground, she was just walking on the mud. So thats why she was picking her hoof out and noticed the thrush. She said she thinks it is just the one foot and treated it with bleach. Ugg I am beyond pissed right now...

It was been rainier here than normal but she has dry spots in the pasture... Im always having small issues with my mare, nothing to warrant a vet but it wouldnt surprise me if she really does have it.

What am I looking for when I go out tomorrow to check for myself?
Posted via Mobile Device

jillybean19 11-25-2012 08:35 PM

I looked at a few more pictures, and I think while what I'm talking about is thrush, my horse only ever gets "pockets" of thrush, not a widespread infection.

jillybean19 11-25-2012 08:37 PM

You're looking for smelly black sections of your horse's hoof. (from my experience)

Put pressure on the frog and prod around it with your pick checking for sensitivity. (At least that's what I got from the article)

jillybean19 11-25-2012 08:38 PM

And your roommate sounds just as stubborn as your mare - I'd go kick her to see if that got her to do what you wanted to.

countrylove 11-25-2012 08:40 PM

Thanks :) any Recommendations for treatment if she does actually have it?
Posted via Mobile Device