The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What color is she?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-color-she-144714/)

tecara 11-25-2012 08:15 PM

What color is she??

3 Attachment(s)
We just bought a new horse and can't pin point what we would call her color... Suggestions??

I've been joking saying she is a dapple grey buckskin but I don't know if there is even such a thing. She has dappling and Flea-bitten markings.

Chiilaa 11-25-2012 08:19 PM

Based on these photos, I think she's grey. What colour her original base colour is, well that is anyone's guess.

However, good photos of her cleaned up will be more beneficial, she may not be grey but in these pictures she does seem to be.

Reno Bay 11-25-2012 08:19 PM

My eyes are having trouble with those pictures for some reason.

It is possible to have a horse of any color go grey if they have the gene. So if your mare was born buckskin with the grey gene she very well be greying out.

CLaPorte432 11-25-2012 08:19 PM

She is grey.

Before she started greying, she was probably buckskin.
Posted via Mobile Device

NdAppy 11-25-2012 08:40 PM

I wouldn't say based on these pictures what her base color was or not. Grey can do too many things to a base color that it is not "safe" to guess the base after it has been so changed by grey.

tecara 11-25-2012 09:48 PM

She is only about 7 yrs old so really not sure how much she would have greyed... and she is clean in the picture lol... that is her colors and markings. She hasn't had a bath, too cold for that, but she is well brushed out.

verona1016 11-26-2012 01:24 PM

Definitely gray. Horses all gray out at different rates, but she looks about right for a 7 year old.

Breezy2011 11-26-2012 07:06 PM

I say buckskin you see very light buckskins out. Since she has a dark or black mane and tail. Look on google images or something... she looks buckskin to me.

Chiilaa 11-26-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy2011 (Post 1773685)
I say buckskin you see very light buckskins out. Since she has a dark or black mane and tail. Look on google images or something... she looks buckskin to me.

Going from these pictures, she is definitely grey. You can see the lighter part of her tail, which is a dead give-away, and you can also see an inconsistency in the black on her hind legs, showing that it is being affected by the grey gene.

SunnyMeadeFarm 11-27-2012 03:07 PM

I agree with the majority vote of gray. a 7 year old's base is a big question mark, since shes had that long to gray. I know someone who has no idea what the base color of their horse is (and doesn't care really, she thinks her horse is beautiful either way) and when someone asked her base coat she just said Neon green or something ridiculous for fun :-)