The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   glass eye / blue eye (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/glass-eye-blue-eye-144722/)

caljane 11-25-2012 10:07 PM

glass eye / blue eye

2 Attachment(s)
I was asked about one of our foals if it has glass eyes or blue eyes. Now, I have two questions:
1. I always thought glass eye = blue eye - or is there a difference?
2. As you can see in the picture this filly has only partial blue eyes - in both eyes the lower half is blue, the upper half is brown. She is pure bred Quarter Horse, non of her siblings / close family shows any signs of an overo pattern. Her dam is home bred with many half and full siblings, her sire has two foal crops and none was noticably colored. Any idea what causes the partial blue eyes?

Cowgirls Boots 11-25-2012 10:12 PM

125 Attachment(s)
What is a 'glass eye'. I'm assuming its not like the horse has an actual 'glass' eye so is it a term for something?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reno Bay 11-25-2012 10:13 PM

Glass, moon, China, wall, night...they're all just blue eyes.

Chiilaa 11-25-2012 10:15 PM

As I said in a previous thread, face white is still the result of a white patterning gene, and this is probably what is causing the blue eyes.

caljane 11-25-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirls Boots (Post 1772516)
What is a 'glass eye'. I'm assuming its not like the horse has an actual 'glass' eye so is it a term for something?
Posted via Mobile Device

Glass eye is usually the term for a light colored eye. I have to admit that I am somewhat confused myself after I was asked by a presumably knowledgeable horse person if the horse has a glass eye OR a blue eye :shock:
Maybe I am missing something - however, it usually does not mean an eye made of glass, literally :-)

caljane 11-25-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1772518)
As I said in a previous thread, face white is still the result of a white patterning gene, and this is probably what is causing the blue eyes.

And I would have to agree, however, I have never seen a solid horse with two partial blue eyes. One partial or one or two full blue, but two partial and no other signs of a pattern in her family (she comes from an old and established breeding program) - this is weird!

Cowgirls Boots 11-25-2012 10:21 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Haha I never heard of any of those terms besides wall eye. I just call em blue eyes! :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 11-25-2012 10:27 PM

This horse has no white on him at all, and has blue eyes. Both eyes are completely blue. He has been DNA tested and verified as having frame.

http://colorgenetics.info/equine_gal...efoalNOLEG.JPG

caljane 11-25-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1772546)
This horse has no white on him at all, and has blue eyes. Both eyes are completely blue. He has been DNA tested and verified as having frame.

cool pic! Any ideas about partial blue eyes? I guess it's just like an "unfinished marking" - or Splash and Frame fighting for domination? ;-)

Breezy2011 11-25-2012 11:26 PM

My black horse has a blue eye. She has no white around it. Just a star and a snip.