The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Could anyone please tell me what this is? (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/could-anyone-please-tell-me-what-144759/)

Elizabeth Bowers 11-26-2012 11:52 AM

Could anyone please tell me what this is?

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the best pic of my pigs. The one with the growth on his hip/leg is called Ham. Could anyone tell me what it might possibly be. He had 2 when we got him from an auction, one about the size of a 50c piece, and the other the size of a golf ball. As he got bigger the smaller of the two disappeared, and the other kept growing. It doesn't bother him, you can touch it, and he rubs it against things and he shows no sign of pain or irritation. It doesn't hinder his movement or anything. I'm just baffled on what it is. And if it would be ok to let him grow big enough to be butchered or if it could be something that could ruin the meat. Thanks on any input!!!
Attachment 119609

laurapratt01 11-26-2012 12:33 PM

Is it soft or hard? If its soft it's very likely an abcess. Our cows get them every so often. Small ones regress and large one's keep getting bigger until they burst. They're filled with puss. If there is a soft spot you can put a large needle (16g-14g) in it and see if that's what comes out. If it is, you can lance a cm long hole in it and clean it out daily with water and antibacterial soap. If there's no soft spot just keep waiting It will probably burst on it's own and when it does just keep it pretty clean and it should heal right up.

Elizabeth Bowers 11-26-2012 12:55 PM

Ok thank you. yes it is soft, my cousin also said it could possibly be a cyst too. And i was freaking out. I'm afraid to actually lance it myself, he chews on my boots i'd rather he didn't chew on me when i do it LOL. Thank you i will keep it in mind, does it hurt them when it bursts??

Chevaux 11-26-2012 01:03 PM

I don`t know anything about pigs or their anatomy but is it possible it`s a hernia?

Elizabeth Bowers 11-26-2012 01:06 PM

Thats what my cousin said at first, but i told him it grew and he said hernia's don't grow or get very big. I'm not sure, all i know is that it keeps growing...

themacpack 11-26-2012 01:12 PM

I would go ahead and have the vet out for this one - that way they can assess it, you can learn and tuck it away for future use if the vet recommends future self-treatment, and testing on the fluids/contents of the mass can be done so that treatment can be tailored accordingly.

Elizabeth Bowers 11-26-2012 01:17 PM

the sad thing is in our area there aren't any swine vets. It has always been one of those things where you just wing it and go....

laurapratt01 11-26-2012 02:00 PM

It doesn't bother the cows one bit when it bursts but they're pretty stoic animals. Just keep it clean. They heal amazingly fast!

laurapratt01 11-26-2012 02:02 PM

Abcesses in livestock other than horses are normally not a big deal at all. I've never seen a horse with an abcess and I think it's less common but they tend to get sick and have trouble healing from them. Cows never miss a step. They tend to bother the owner more than anything because of their appearance. I'm sure swine handle them similarly.

FlyGap 11-26-2012 05:36 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Might be an abscess, like a big pimple that doesn't hurt. My mare had one one just past her girth area, I could poke it and she didn't mind. Vet stuck a big needle in it and squeezed, pus ran out. So we lanced it, kept iodine/Underwoods and fly stuff on it and it healed right up. It could also be a fat deposit, when you stick the needle in it nothing will come out. I too would get a vet out because that's REALLY big. Probably more complicated since there will be a bunch of baggy stretched hide to keep bacteria free. He may even have you flush it with a syringe twice a day or even put him on antibiotics...