The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Coyotes and horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/coyotes-horses-144770/)

horsecrazygirl13 11-26-2012 12:28 PM

Coyotes and horses

I was wondering if coyotes can hurt horses?
When i go out to feed my horse after dark I sometimes hear packs of them howling in the distance. Do they hurt horses? my horse stands his ground when a dog approaches and kicks him if they come too close. He's grown up with dogs so he knows how to handle them-but coyotes?

themacpack 11-26-2012 12:31 PM

Can they, yes - are they likely to, no.

Speed Racer 11-26-2012 12:32 PM

If they're in a pack situation yes, they could take down your horse. Is it likely, though? Not very.

They're not as large as wolves and their main diet consists of small rodents. They'll take on larger prey if they have to, but rarely pack hunt like wolves.

Speed Racer 11-26-2012 12:34 PM

If you're concerned about the predator wildlife in your area, I suggest reading up on the different species and how and what they normally hunt.

FlyGap 11-26-2012 12:42 PM

Nah, I wouldn't be worried. I have ALWAYS lived in areas with tons of coyotes. I hear them every night, and I'm talking big groups, but rarely see them.

I've watched a few go through the pasture and the horses will either ignore them or scare them off. Everyone around here runs a donkey or a mule with their cattle because they will take a calf, and if I had a bunch of small minis I'd be careful, but a large horse is not coyote game. They would have to be absolutely starved to death to even attempt it. The only time I would worry would be if I had a terribly spooky horse, alone, in bad fencing. The fence would be the bigger danger!

walkinthewalk 11-26-2012 12:43 PM

We have a lot of Coyote in our area.

Generally speaking Coyotes won't bother anything that is bigger than they are, unless it's in a weakened state ---- and they are very good at picking up on the fact that a cow or horse is sick.

However, newborn calves and foals are at high risk.

My neighbor told of a cow in the middle of calving with two coyotes standing withing a few hundred feet of either end of her, just waiting for the calf to be born so they could take ownership of it.

Guess who got shot?-----------------it wasn't the cow or the calf:-)

deserthorsewoman 11-26-2012 12:50 PM

They pass right by my house, sometimes even in daylight, I watched my horses, who have their paddock right next to the house, they don't even look up. Neighbor has cows and calves and mares and foals, and coyotes pass through there, no problem either.
Me being from Europe, no coyotes there, I admit it is a bit creepy hearing them at night, so close.

Speed Racer 11-26-2012 12:53 PM

I enjoy hearing them sing at night and in the early morning. Of course, I like most of the sounds of wildlife. Except when fox scream. They sound like women being painfully beaten.

themacpack 11-26-2012 12:55 PM

Honestly, I concern myself more with the domestic dogs allowed to roam at large in our area - they have no fear of humans/livestock and alone or in a pack setting love nothing more than to harass livestock, small pets, etc. We are the only people in a two mile radius of our home that don't allow our dogs to roam....our's are trained to chase other dogs to the property line and stop (this way the neighbors can't complain about our dogs being in their yard, chasing their dogs, etc -- the ONLY chasing occurs on our property)

themacpack 11-26-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1773194)
I enjoy hearing them sing at night and in the early morning. Of course, I like most of the sounds of wildlife. Except when fox scream. They sound like women being painfully beaten.

Yep, me too!