The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critiques of 3 OTTB horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critiques-3-ottb-horses-144789/)

scubadreams 11-26-2012 04:51 PM

Critiques of 3 OTTB horses

7 Attachment(s)
If I could get some critiques on the following OTTB horses would be great.

Horse 1:

He is 16 hands and 5yo and comes from Bold Ruler, Mr. Prospector, Northern Dancer and Secretariat. He has no known injuries.

Horse 2:

She is 15.3 hands and she has Storm Cat, Northern Dancer and Secretariat in her breeding. She as no known injuries.

Horse 3:

He is 16 hands and 5yo and comes from Bold Ruler, Northern Dancer and Secretariat. He has no known injuries.

Speed Racer 11-26-2012 04:53 PM

Are these your horses or horses you're thinking of purchasing?

scubadreams 11-26-2012 04:54 PM

I'm thinking of buying them : )

Speed Racer 11-26-2012 04:56 PM

You mean one of them I presume, not all. :wink:

That first horse has some massive withers, which means he's going to be hard to fit, saddle wise. Not crazy about his long pasterns, either.

The second horse, there's something off about her right front knee.

The third horse looks built rather delicately, and I don't like the way he's standing on those back pasterns.

Out of the three, I like the mare best.

Cacowgirl 11-26-2012 05:15 PM

Are you looking for a horse for Dressage? Jumping? HUS? Small local shows? Higher levels? You didn't give much information as to what your plans are for the horse. Do any of them have training for your discipline? So you aren't starting from square one?

boots 11-26-2012 05:15 PM

Possibly just the photo, but horse #1 looks as though he's been pin-fired on the both fronts.

Agree with Speed Racer and horse #2's right knee.

I also agree with Speed Racer on horse 3 and the light build. It's legs wouldn't hold up for what I do, but that just me.

scubadreams 11-26-2012 05:21 PM

I want to get into jumping...I know that Horse 1 has some jumping.

scubadreams 11-26-2012 05:29 PM

Thank you for all the input on these horses : )

SorrelHorse 11-26-2012 05:32 PM

I would eliminate the third totally, I really don't like that.

I like the mare best too, but I wouldn't hate the first. Definitely not the third though IMO. He just looks so fragile and I really don't like his hind end at all.

Allegro 11-26-2012 05:33 PM

Horse 1 is uphill and quite long and weak in the coupling. I would also like to see shorter cannons on him. Horse two is downhill with pretty obvious buck knee. Horse two also has a bit of a straight shoulder. He has much better cannons then horse 1. Horse three also has long cannons and an upright shoulder. Three also looks buck kneed but buck knees shouldn't affect soundness, they're more of a cosmetic problem. Definitely beautiful horses though! In my opinion, 3 is the best, followed by 2 then 1. I tend to be drawn to the sparkly, showy horses so it's always difficult for me to look past the glamour to the horse itself. Whether you are just wanting a good jumper that stays sound, or are wanting a halter horse, I would go with 3.