The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Cutting Manes? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cutting-manes-144804/)

ThePoniesForever 11-26-2012 06:37 PM

Cutting Manes?

Hello All,

I recently got a new horse, who has the nastiest mane of all time. Matted, half on one side, half on the other, and thin.

I've decided to cut it hunter style, and have been looking up how to trim the mane. I saw a video that said that you should never just cut it, but do you guys think it would be okay? Thanks, xo

AnalisaParalyzer 11-27-2012 09:20 AM

Lots of hunters use a mane pull, but i see no problem with just cutting it, especially if its thin anyway. it'll grow back and you can do it "the right way" then.

Speed Racer 11-27-2012 09:21 AM

It'll be fine to cut it. If you're not planning to show at the upper levels, it doesn't matter how you trim it.

riccil0ve 11-27-2012 09:40 AM

Even when I was transforming long manes into shorter ones, I would cut it about an inch longer than I wanted and then pull. It was so much easier on my fingers.

If you want to keep it aesthetically pleasing and not look like you took scissors to it, point the scissors to the sky and snip the ends a bit. It'll blur out that straight scissor line

On the other hand, if the mane is that bad, I'd cut all of it off and let the mane grow out from there.
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 11-27-2012 09:42 AM

If it is THAT matted and gross, just cut it off with a scissors.

Condition the mane and take care of it, and it will grow back nicely in no time!

aldebono 11-27-2012 11:45 AM

Thinning scissors are great for getting that "Pulled mane" look! Do different levels around an inch or two apart and it will look nice in no time! I never pull manes anymore, but my horses don't have abnormally thick manes either.

Clava 11-27-2012 11:48 AM

A cut mane can look really awful, I would thin out mats with scissors and then use a solo comb if you can't pull it :-)

AnimalChiro 11-27-2012 08:32 PM

I see no problem with cutting it. It will grow out in time. If it's really thin you could just pull it little. Mane trimmers and non-pull combs I nice and easy to use.

countercanter 11-28-2012 08:28 PM

I agree with cutting it slightly longer than you want it and then pulling it. Cut manes never look right.

Almond Joy 12-02-2012 11:57 AM

The barn cut a lesson mare's mane since it was already so thin and she HATES getting her mane pulled. It looked blocky and terrible for the first month or so but now it looks a bit more natural.