The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's Your Career?

5K views 47 replies 45 participants last post by  Northernstar 
#1 ·
What's your career? Horsey or not:) What college did you go to. Your salary, etc.

#2 ·
i have a diesel performance shop. i didnt go to college. started out helping at a neighbors diesel shop in high school and he taught me the ropes. after high school, i was a truck driver for a few years. i kept doing side work at the shop. had a pretty bad accident and couldnt go back to driving where i was working. so i started doing performance work out of my shop and luckily it took off pretty quick.

#3 ·
Anything that moves or needs moved, I move it. Anything that needs fixed, I fix it. Self employed, well kinda, I work for myself but for many companys. Not much schooling. Jr high school drop out :( ah, to do it all over again!!
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
I work for EMS as a medic, I train horses (part-time) and I do carpentry work. I'm currently working on a Law degree, but I find it quite boring (not hands-on enough for me!) and I'm think of switching my studies to something more...well, hands-on! I've considered doing midwife training. I'm not paid a salary, and my income varies, but I think I'm doing pretty darn well considering my age!

#5 ·
Project Manager.
I'm in school for an accounting degree (will finish next year). I we t to many community colleges (kept running out of money). I live in a 6 figure household.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
Artist, web entrapnuer, music venue helper (DH & family business), farmer...
I went to university and community college. Pay... Never enough!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: 38355
#8 ·
I went to college with full intentions of being a veterinarian. I was going to the local community college getting some basics out of the way while I decided on which university I wanted to go to. In the meantime I worked at an animal hospital and decided that I really liked what I did, so I went to Hinds Community College/Mississippi State University to get certified as a technician. I met my hubby while in school and ended up in the middle of nowhere Mississippi and the area vets weren't paying but minimum wage even being certified so I became a bank teller. After 10 years of that I'm now a stay-at-home mom but I'm studying medical transcription. The plan is to do that part time just to keep up to date with the profession incase I need it as a backup job. Whatever money I make with it will just go into an IRA.

#10 ·
Lucky, Canterklutz, I don't even have a resume, lol.
I'm currently working full time as a temp at Fedex for $9 an hour..not allowed overtime and don't get paid time and a half for holidays...which I feel should definitely be illegal. I called off for thanksgiving and Friday (said I had family things on friday that I had to do). I'm through an employment service though.
I'm going to another employment service to try and get a less..stand on my feet all day and throw packages around job this week sometime though..

I went to Meredith Manor to get all my farrier stuff and our farrier said he'd send all his overflow to me..I feel like that won't happen since I dropped out though. I can trim a horse pretty damn good and can keep myself from disciplining the horse as it were mine, but I don't think it's going to be my career..Not to mention, I don't know any farrier that works out of an Altima xD
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
I was in the US Coast Guard. Now I stay home and run the ranch. For extra cash, I pick up unwanted animals, and retrain them and get then back to health, then I rehome them for a small fee. I also did basic dog obedience training classes at a dog park when I lived near one, but I worked solely for tips and making sure dogs were able to stay in their happy homes.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
Corporate Training Manager in the Banking Industry.

BS in Biology (Zoology emphasis). Worked as a zookeeper for awhile, then realized I didn't love living paycheck to paycheck.

My husband is an Environmental Project Manager and between the two of us we make more than enough to live a comfy middle class lifestyle and afford my daughter's horse habit. ;).
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
I work at an Insurance Brokers office, I am currently working towards getting my Broker license. My salary is about $36,000 right now, once I get my license it will be more.

I am also working towards being a certified EC coach.

#16 ·
Marine Engineer, Army training combined with State university of NY, mostly online or at remote Army education centers. Plus lots of self study and testing, couple marine classes, ship board firefighting etc.
Marine transportation industry is BOOOMING !, deck and engine, yet I never see it listed in any of the job opportunity articles in the news. Tugboat and shipping companies are screaming for qualified people. especially Engineering. Coast guard laws have changed and boats getting away with licensed and underliscensed people are getting cracked down on.

#22 ·
Haha...I am retired, so my "job" is to do what I want, when I want, and get as much enjoyment out of life as possible.

My first career was as an exploration geophysicist. I have BS degrees in Biology and Geology, and an MS in Physics. I have worked in most basins on land and offshore in the US, Northern Europe, Africa, and Australia and Indonesia, and have oil and gas discoveries all over. I started with Chevron, and later managed companies in Houston, New Orleans, and Denver.

My second career was as a senior loan officer and public information officer with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). I retired from the oil business to enter public service in early 1986, and worked as the Executive Director for economic development agencies in Mid Missouri and in Colorado Springs for 3 years prior to receiving my SBA appointment, where I worked for 15 years in Missouri and Arkansas before retiring and re-entering the private sector.

My third, and last, career, was as the Senior Vice President and Commercial Loan Manager for a large statewide community bank based in Little Rock.

Reactions: QOS and 38355
#23 ·
I am semi retired with a PHD in Psychology. I now work with both HIV Positive clients and Veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
I also manage my families farm that raises commercial and registered Santa Gertrudas cattle as well as corn and wheat.
I also volunteer at a homeless shelter and with a local AIDS service organization.
I have tried to retire twice before but get bored easily . Retirement is not my cup of tea now.
OH and as far as colleges HOOK EM HORNS. UT Austin. Shalom

#24 ·
Employeed by the US Coast Guard, I did a bunch of Community college before I joined and got sick of the school scene (I had been planning on being a vet.) so I tried out for survivor and took the ASVAB. Survivor never called back so I joined up. Pay, well, it's enlisted pay. At least it's enough to live comfortably and I don't have to worry about food, housing or health care.

#25 ·
I went to school to become a Canada Border Services Officer, was able to get into the CBSA as a student when I was finished school the CBSA stopped accepting new people as they were now arming all officers with guns. So I got into the biggest Natural Gas company in Canada on contract for a few years in different departments. I am now a full time employee and I am a construction supervisor for all work being done on our gas mains and services in the Toronto area.

#26 ·
I'm an optometrist (eye doctor). I went to 4 years undergrad at a private college in North Dakota, and then did my 4 years of optometry school at Pacific University College of Optometry in Forest Grove, Oregon.

I just graduated in May, and just got married in June, and just start my job in July, so still trying to get "caught up" on everything. Rent is crazy around here with this oil boom (we actually just got a notice last night that our rent will be increasing .... grrrr), so hubby and I are trying to save for a house of our own.

Got 2 horses I am boarding. Just bought a horse trailer. And will be buying a larger pickup soon. So I guess even though we're trying to play "catch up", we're doing alright.

Salary varies by the number of patients I see, so I can't really give a number. National average is anywhere form $60,000 starting to $200,000+ depending on the area of the country.

Reactions: 38355
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.