The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Training Mustangs and Bitless Bridles (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/training-mustangs-bitless-bridles-144822/)

LovePandaPony 11-26-2012 09:16 PM

Training Mustangs and Bitless Bridles

My filly will be two in Spring, and next winter(Winter of 2013-2014) I am planning on starting her under-saddle(And by under-saddle, I mean only walking until May 12th of 2014). I have done some research and talked to many horse-care professionals, and I decided that I wanted to start her in a bitless bridle for the first year of her training, and slowly integrate a combined bit/poll/nose pressure setup. Before I mess with her face, frame, or anything of the sort, I want to have her balance and gaits, with correct cues, down.

Now for the tricky part... What bridle would you recommend?
I am planning on doing a little bit of everything with this horse. Having a solid foundation of Dressage work on her, but sprinkling in jumping, cattle work, and trail trials. I had originally wanted her to be an Eventer(as I have been trained in), but I ended that dream a while ago.

Right now, I am looking at the LightRider English Bitless Bridle, partially because of the fact that I would like to be able to show in the bridle, and the LightRider styles are very classy and natural looking.

Do you have any partials to a certain bridle?

(Oh, and my filly is VERY pluggy. She is getting lighter, but isn't a tiny touch-and-go type of horse.)

Bluebird 11-29-2012 12:52 PM

This is a really difficult one for anyone to answer. Many horses are broken to a bitted bridle. I use the kindest bit possible on my Clydesdale French Link Snaffle (hope I got that right) which only exerts pressure on the tongue and not the roof of the mouth. I have looked at bitless bridles and some people have said that some horses find the pressure they put on the poll too uncomfortable. Now in saying that, there is another argument which says that bitless bridles have been a godsend. IMO I would suggest that you try different ones out on your horse as what suits one horse nnad rider doesn't always suit another. In the horse world, one size dosn't fit all and it boils down to your own horse and the type of rider you are, how heavy or light you are with your hands and how experienced a rider you are. Not much help in making a choice but only you can make the choice.

Ironless Horse 11-30-2012 01:54 AM

Another BRB

Take a look at the "Q" Bitless Rope Bridle as an option.

LesandLily 11-30-2012 07:51 AM

I don't have issue with bit less bridles but one of the complaints I have heard about them is they don't release as quickly as a bit so it can make it hard for the young horse to learn. I would want one that gives an instant release so the filly knows when she answered the question correctly and then maybe graduate to a different one after training. That's one of the benefits to a bosal, it gives an instant release...but that may look a little weird in a dressage saddle. :lol:

Cheers
Les

Ironless Horse 11-30-2012 09:01 PM

I agree with you Les. The more complicated the bitless bridle the more delay. The "Q" BRB is simple and produces an instant release. Unlike a bosal, it looks good with a dressage saddle.