The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   hanging legs.. anything to help? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/hanging-legs-anything-help-14488/)

appylover31803 09-09-2008 04:26 PM

hanging legs.. anything to help?

I'm looking at this one horse, and his owner sent me pictures of him jumping... he looks extremely loose on the front end (only angle i have of him jumping)
She said the he's jumping up to 3ft, but it kind of worries me because he doesn't tuck his needs at all.. they're just dangling.

Are there any exercises one could do to make him tuck more? or is he always going to be like that?
And what dangers could there be of jumping a loose ended horse?

JustDressageIt 09-09-2008 08:11 PM

Depending on the severity, there is not much you can do.
Exercises like gymnastics will help, but if a horse isn't meant to be a jumper, he's not meant to be a jumper.
My old gelding, Cinzano, was like that - I was able to jump him 3'6" no problem, because he was tall (17.1hh) but he hung his knees so badly it was scary to watch. He'd demolish about 1 in every 3 jumps.

appylover31803 09-09-2008 08:17 PM

That's kind of what I thought. The few pictures I saw of him jumping scared me too (not your guy, this horse I was looking at)

I wouldn't want to be out on the trail and try to jump over a log..only to have the horse's legs low, hitting the tree and ending in a disaster!

Passing on that guy....

Supermane 09-09-2008 09:15 PM

Was the jump low? My horse is incredibly loose over anything under 2'6" and it isn't tight until about 3'.

Gingerrrrr 09-09-2008 09:22 PM

can we see the pic?

appylover31803 09-09-2008 09:35 PM

I'm not going to post a picture as I don't have permission from the owner.

I believe 2 of the 3 jumps were 3' and he was very loose. In one picture i'm almost certain he would have knocked the jump... the 3' jumps were also oxers (the one with a space between the 2 jumps..but it's not a bounce or anything like that.. hope that makes sense and that I used the right terminology)

Supermane 09-09-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803
I'm not going to post a picture as I don't have permission from the owner.

I believe 2 of the 3 jumps were 3' and he was very loose. In one picture i'm almost certain he would have knocked the jump... the 3' jumps were also oxers (the one with a space between the 2 jumps..but it's not a bounce or anything like that.. hope that makes sense and that I used the right terminology)

I would pass on the horse if you want to do a lot of higher jumper or xcountry (The jumps won't fall down, but he will). If he is jumping a 3' oxer with terrible form he probably is never going to be a jumper.

appylover31803 09-10-2008 12:10 AM

Thanks Supermane!

I would like to do hunterpaces, and if I understand it correctly, it's similar to cross country as in the jumps are like logs (or jumps that don't come down) and yes I know I can go around them.. but i want to jump! hehe

If it was just a small cross rail, i wouldn't be too worried, but the pictures of him jumping higher with worse form than the smaller one is scary IMO.

Angel_Leaguer 09-10-2008 10:42 AM

I know that you cant post a pic of this horse...but does any one have an example of a lose ended horse. i really dont know much about juming so i am just curious what it looks like.

thaxs!!!

appylover31803 09-10-2008 01:34 PM

this would be an example of a horse hanging his knees/legs over a jump...

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...ngingknees.jpg