The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Frame and self-carriage (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/frame-self-carriage-144905/)

howrsegirl123 11-27-2012 10:03 PM

Frame and self-carriage

How can I teach my horse to hold his frame better? I've been working on western pleasure and he has a great jog that he can usually do on a loose rein, but sometimes his head comes up and he gets fast and I have to start over. In other words, he needs a little better self carriage. What can I do? Also how can I get him to do this while neck reining? I give him a looser rein but I still hold the reins in two hands. (He does know how to neck rein)
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

howrsegirl123 11-29-2012 11:34 PM

Bumping
Posted via Mobile Device

howrsegirl123 11-30-2012 08:48 PM

Anyone?
Posted via Mobile Device

paintedpastures 11-30-2012 09:51 PM

To start your horse has to be supple & you must be able to control the different parts of his body. Lateral exercises are great for this:D. Don't worry about headsets when working on frame & self carriage,your horse has to learn to use his body,be able to round himself & find impulsion from behind,not something you can develop overnight:-(. The headset will come pretty natural once the horse has learned how to use himself:wink:.This is a common training problem people try to create the headset & force a false collection,this is where you see horse breakdown:evil:
This article I found pretty good read:-) Keep Those Shoulders Up: Mastering Self-Carriage

spurstop 12-01-2012 03:17 AM

howrsegirl, if you are able to, you may want to consider subscribing to The Horse Training Channel. They do have some bits of their clinics posted on youtube and there are quite a few exercises that could help you with this horse.

Self-carriage comes from the back, and it's really hard to tell what is going on with this horse without seeing video of the issue. I would throw a guess out there that he's getting heavy on the forehand and doesn't know how to hold himself and carry himself, or doesn't have the strength to do it, so he is basically running off a bit because of that. Hard to know without video though.

howrsegirl123 12-01-2012 03:32 PM

Yes, he does get a little heavy on the forehand.
Posted via Mobile Device