The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   proud... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/proud-144920/)

countrylove 11-27-2012 11:49 PM

proud...

Me and my mare made a good stride today. Normally she makes me work to pick up her feet and she'll let me hold them but I'm doing all the work and to top it off she leans on me. Every time I see her I pick her feet up and clean them really good. Well today I tapped her foot and she lifted and held without me touching her foot. I just tapped and she did it. We reached a goal I had set and had a bit of a break through. I've only had her since the middle of October and she is a pushy, hard to handle, spoiled rotten, demon child lol but I love her sooo much <3 we are making strides in the right direction. I'm not just a friend anymore... I'm starting to finally get some decent and consistent respect... yay :D sorry I just had to share :D
Posted via Mobile Device

countrylove 11-27-2012 11:53 PM

any other horse I would expect this but she is not your average horse lol Im going to start a thread on her past and her progress with lots of pics. she is very unique :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 11-28-2012 12:07 AM

Awesome!!
I remember when I had to re-teach my mare to pick up her feet. What a pain!!

What worked form me with the leaning, was to stand out from her, so she isn't touching me. if she starts to put her foot down, I pretend to drop it. It makes her stiffen and catch her balance, and then we continue on.

Thunderspark 11-28-2012 01:47 AM

congrats on your progress! That is something to be proud of, every little bit of progress is.....

EvilHorseOfDoom 11-28-2012 02:23 AM

Congratulations! There are few things I dislike more than reteaching a horse to pick up once they've worked out some cunning way of getting out of it, like leaning really heavily or picking up the other foot too so they fall over on you. Ugh ugh ugh.

Good work! Hope the progress continues :-)