The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Endurance Rides in Indiana? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/endurance-rides-indiana-144943/)

Freelance Cowgirl 11-28-2012 10:18 AM

Endurance Rides in Indiana?

I've really wanted to get into competative trail riding and endurance racing for a while now. The filly I rescued last year has come along in health splendidly and I trained her under saddle over the summer well enough to actually show her confidently at the fair. I really don't like it though, I feel like I'm in a fish bowl just going round and round waiting to get out. The only riding I really do is trail, and that's what she's trained for. She will go ALL day, and has before. I took her on a 30+ mile charity ride a few weeks ago and she was the youngest, plus was leading the pack most of the time. Have to admit she was tired that night though!

Anyway, I'm in Midwest Indiana about 30 minutes from the border of Illinois. An hour from Indianapolis and Bloomington, and 25 minutes from Terre Haute. I don't have a trailer but I have a friend who would haul me to the ends of the earth. Does anyone know of some good competative rides in Indiana, preferably beginner-friendly and in my general area? I can see there being some things in the Brown County or Dugger area. I want to get into this next year! My horse will trot all day and night, cold or hot, rain or shine.

Foxesdontwearbowties 11-28-2012 10:23 AM

I'm in the same boat as you, looking to start next year. :-) I have a list of trail/endurace rides that are generally annual on my home computer but I'm at school right now, so I'll post them once I get home (5:30ish).
It'd be cool to meet up if we decide to go to the same one. :D

There are quite a few close by, I think the earliest is in January.. I want to say, don't hold me to it though!

Adam 11-28-2012 10:34 AM

Search on Facebook for Stone Creek Ranch, or google Stone Creek Ranch, Bloomington IN. I'm spacing the owners name at the moment, but he has a huge facility outside of Bloomington, and if I remember right he arranges trips all over the country, for everything from cattle drives to trail rides.

Joe4d 11-28-2012 10:40 AM

American Endurance ride conference, here is their ride calander, check midwest, and also southeast as there are rides in Ky. How old is your horse ? There are minimum ages, look at the rules on AERC homepage, I believe it is 4 for LD's (usually 25-35 miles,) and 5yo for 50's.

http://www.doublejoy.com/erol/Calend...ent&set=o:aerc

MHFoundation Quarters 11-28-2012 10:41 AM

Subbing. I've been asked about that as well, not something I do so am clueless about. I do know that there are AQHA trail horse competitions held in IN but they aren't endurance rides and only open to reg'd QHs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 11-28-2012 06:53 PM

there were several in indiana and surronding states for last year. Check the 2012 schedule to get an idea. Most rides tend to be on about the same weekend, most of the dates havent been ironed out yet for 2013.

TheOtherHorse 11-28-2012 08:44 PM

I'm in KY, but ride in southeast IN a lot. I did an endurance ride this past spring at Clark State Forest near Pekin, IN. Not sure if that is too far. Also, Daniel Boone Distance Riders (Welcome) puts on a ride in the spring that was at Midwest Trail Ride this past year. Not sure if that will be the same location next year, but that sounds fairly close to you? There are more rides in IN too.

Freelance Cowgirl 11-29-2012 09:36 AM

Thank you everyone! This was all really helpful. I was looking into some rides last night and I'll look into it more later. Joe, to answer your question, my horse is just a 2 year old filly. I'll look out for the rides that might allow me to ride her, because she's the only horse at my disposal at the moment. I might ask around though, and see if anyone would let me borrow an older one. I've got someone who may let me.

Even if I can't ride her next year I'm going to start conditioning her and keep her in tip top trail shape for when I actually can use her! Thanks again everyone. And if there's any more information that might come in I'll gladly accept it. :D

Joe4d 11-29-2012 11:49 AM

shes way to young to be conditioned. shes to young to be even trained very much.

Eolith 11-29-2012 02:10 PM

I agree, there's no way in heck you should be riding a 2 year old as hard as you say. If you want to know why:

http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_..._2008_pdf1.pdf