The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   ~Trailer Shopping Rant~ (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/%7Etrailer-shopping-rant%7E-144999/)

Phantomcolt18 11-28-2012 07:22 PM

~Trailer Shopping Rant~

So I'm currently searching my local craigslist, horse clicks, you name it looking for a trailer. I've inquired about quite a few and I either get a no answer or some huge jerk that thinks it's all a game!(read below)

Recent story- Checking out a trailer online. Call the people up and I get an answer (Awesome I think, maybe I'll actually be able to check one out!) I was so wrong. I said(along the lines) "Hello my name is Cassie and I'm inquiring about the Bison 2 horse you have listed for sale? Is it still available?" I think hear a sort of giggling in the background but thought eh maybe they have kids. The guy said "Oh yeah it's still for sale but we've upped the price a little since we got a few things fixed up." I reply asking what the new price was since the price had already been really good. This ADULT then proceeded to tell me the price was 3million dollars. Um what?? I said a prompt have a nice day and hung up. Huge waste of time.

And then you have the ads where people do not provide their phone number. "Serious buyers only!!! No tire kickers and scammers will be reported" Okay what if I am a serious buyer but when I email you I hear nothing, nadda zip. How am I supposed to contact you if you don't supply some form of communication. If you're the type that only checks their email once in a blue moon please put a phone number or during the time you are trying to sell said trailer check your email a little more often than usual.

~sigh~
End Rant

I know I'm not the only one going through this haha, but it is just so frustrating sometimes.

Fulford15 11-28-2012 07:28 PM

I know how that goes, Craigslist & Kijiji seem to be really bad for scammers/pranks....

I recently was looking for a new place to rent (found one thank goodness!) but got put through a lot of people trying to scam me,
"I live over seas so give me the money and I will send you keys to look at the place" YA okay then, not happening! I got 4 replies similar to that for different places, so frusterating! :evil:

Darrin 11-28-2012 09:37 PM

Unfortunately Craigslist has become one big scam site. There's still legitimate ads but so many scams you can't trust anything on there.

COWCHICK77 11-28-2012 10:16 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I understand your frustration! I was on both sides of the fence selling and buying a trailer last summer.

I had many unanswered emails and voice mails trying to buy one. But selling our trailer was very aggravating as well. People not showing up and not even calling to cancel their appt. for viewing the trailer. Had plenty scam emails as well. It is just not trailers either, I recently tried to sell some household items on CL before moving..GAH!

Good Luck!

Phantomcolt18 11-28-2012 10:29 PM

Oi it's so frustrating. I mean even if it's sold and that's why you're not contacting me back at least have the common courtesy to shoot me a quick email saying it's been sold. I'm not going to be offended.You wanted to sell something you sold it good for you!

I responded to any email ASAP about my mare I sold. I had a few scammers there as well. I even had someone schedule an appt to come see her and they gave me their phone number and everything! Comes the day they're supposed to come out. I go out early gave Lily a nice bath and grooming then turned her back out in the front field to wait for them. The time comes and goes and I had other places to be that day. So when they're a half hour late I give them a call and it was a dead number. ~shakes head~ people anymore I swear.

I'm about to go to a dealer and see what they have used on their lot. We have a CrossRoads(trailer dealers) the next town over, they might have some nice used trailers. I just HATE dealing with dealers. When I was truck shopping I was so done with dealers and ended up getting my truck from a private seller anyway.

So the search continues.

COWCHICK77 11-28-2012 10:55 PM

50 Attachment(s)
We ended buying from a dealer. But we lucked out, Wilson had the trailer for 6 months and wanted to get rid of bad. The trailer had a tack room with butterfly rear doors. everyone that needed the tack room wanted a single rear door and those that wanted the butterfly rear doors didn't want the tack room. Dealer changed the back door to a single with a slider for free and threw in some ball caps and a set of mud flaps for our big Wilson cow trailer...LOL

(we also went through the truck shopping a couple of months ago...it doesn't take long to get burnt out!)

Phly 11-28-2012 10:57 PM

Consingment Auctions are a good place to find trailers. You are there hands on with it and can sometimes get a good deal. Yeah, you usually don't get a background story on it, but do you really believe the guy on Craigslist anyways?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 11-28-2012 11:36 PM

Craigslist is becoming a playground for scammers & idiots who have too much free time on their hands! 3 million dollars? I hope you gave him 3 millions bucks worth of choice language! I sold my trailer locally, sold instantly, & bought a brand new one from a local dealer, keeps the local economy fueled & if there is a problem, I don't have to run around Hell's Half Acre tracking anyone down. While it is nice to have access to a wide range of products & goods via the Internet, you might want to look closer to home as these businesses have a reputation to uphold. Good luck in your search!
Posted via Mobile Device

Phantomcolt18 11-28-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 1776861)
We ended buying from a dealer. But we lucked out, Wilson had the trailer for 6 months and wanted to get rid of bad. The trailer had a tack room with butterfly rear doors. everyone that needed the tack room wanted a single rear door and those that wanted the butterfly rear doors didn't want the tack room. Dealer changed the back door to a single with a slider for free and threw in some ball caps and a set of mud flaps for our big Wilson cow trailer...LOL

(we also went through the truck shopping a couple of months ago...it doesn't take long to get burnt out!)

I might end up trying the dealer then. I've been to their website and they have a few nice looking trailers for sale and they say they have a ton more than what's on their website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1776864)
Consingment Auctions are a good place to find trailers. You are there hands on with it and can sometimes get a good deal. Yeah, you usually don't get a background story on it, but do you really believe the guy on Craigslist anyways?
Posted via Mobile Device

I've never heard of a consignment auction. I try to avoid auctions though anyway. And it is true you really can't trust anybody about anything too much anymore. It's sad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1776901)
Craigslist is becoming a playground for scammers & idiots who have too much free time on their hands! 3 million dollars? I hope you gave him 3 millions bucks worth of choice language! I sold my trailer locally, sold instantly, & bought a brand new one from a local dealer, keeps the local economy fueled & if there is a problem, I don't have to run around Hell's Half Acre tracking anyone down. While it is nice to have access to a wide range of products & goods via the Internet, you might want to look closer to home as these businesses have a reputation to uphold. Good luck in your search!
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha no just a swift have a nice day and hung up. Bunch of bored people being idiots trying to make their life exciting. The worst part is the person I talked to was an adult(sounded like one anyway) I mean honestly I'm fresh into the "adult world" and I am more mature than that.

I might end up trying the dealer. I'll have to suck it up and put on my big girl jeans haha. Everything else listed on CL at the moment I wouldn't touch with a 50ft pole. People are honestly trying to sell rusted out pieces of scrap metal and pass it off as horse ready. It's like they have no conscience and could care less if someone's horse were to go through the floor (my worst nightmare!)

Annanoel 11-29-2012 11:16 AM

Phantom - I know how you feel have been truck and trailer shopping for the past few months and yet to find anything legitimate. The part I hate the most is if I get to the point of looking or even calling about a truck and trailer is the attitude MOST (not all) guys give me. Asking why I want a truck and if I even know how to pull. That gets under my skin, they don't ask nicely either and some won't even talk to me.

UHG - then the trailer we did go and look at...funny story here, but agrivating too. The pictures on the ad weren't even of the same trailer!!! Can you say angry? We had made a three hour drive to check out this nice trailer, good price, we were all set to buy. Not even close to what we wanted. AD SAID it was a three horse slant, rear tack storage, dressing room / living quarters and gooseneck. We get there, it's a two horse stock, gooseneck, nothing fancy, rust EVERYWHERE and the floor had wholes my feet could go right through. Sorry for the long post but I feel you.

END RANT.