The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   new to english, aparrel & boots (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/new-english-aparrel-boots-145016/)

live to ride 11-28-2012 11:23 PM

new to english, aparrel & boots

hi! first of all, I just had my first jumper lesson yesterday, and it was amazing. by the end of the lesson I was jumping an 18inch vertical then a one foot cavaletti at the canter! it was the most fun I have had in a really long time. even though it scares my mom, I think riding hunter jumper is calling me right now. the trainer was great, and the horse was amazing. he was really fast, ive never ridden a throughbred before! the trainer said I did really good, I had a fabulous time and met some great girls I might ride with in a class in the future.
so onto the questions. I have a pair of tall dress boots, but they are too large in the calf and feel restricting. the were my aunts, so they werent fitted for me. I was wondering about boots and breeches. when are paddock boots appropriate to ride in? can you wear them without half chaps? difference between schooling tights and breeches? whats better, full seat covered on the pants or just the knees? what about bootcut riding tights? can you wear those with western boots just for comfort?
thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 11-28-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by live to ride (Post 1776887)
I was wondering about boots and breeches. when are paddock boots appropriate to ride in? can you wear them without half chaps? difference between schooling tights and breeches? whats better, full seat covered on the pants or just the knees? what about bootcut riding tights? can you wear those with western boots just for comfort?

My experience is primarily with dressage, but I think it holds true for hunter/jumper at low levels as well.

Paddock boots with half chaps are fine for everyday riding, as well as smaller open shows. Schooling without half chaps might be OK, but I've always found that the stirrup leathers pinch my calves if I'm not wearing them.

Tights are thinner and stretchier than breeches. They're kind of like running tights, but with slightly different seams and knee patches.

Most jumpers I've seen use knee patch breeches, while full seat is usually a dressage thing. The full seat is meant to help you "stick" to the seat better, which you don't really want if you're trying to get up in a two-point.

Bootcut tights/breeches might look a little strange with Western boots, since I think they're generally meant to be worn over paddock boots which don't stick out as much as Western boots. You'd probably do better to get regular tights; it'll show off the boots better anyway :-)

belong2 11-29-2012 11:16 PM

I ride H/J. You certainly can ride in breeches and paddock boots, although it might be tough to find breeches long enough. Most breeches for adults stop above paddock boots-although that might just be because I'm 5'10" :-)
It's also not very comfortable as the stirrup leather can pinch. You can school in half chaps, paddock boots, and breeches which looks nice and is comfortable. You can get used paddock boots and half chaps for pretty cheap-look on ebay or the classifieds on this website.
Dress boots are meant for dressage and a too big calf can certainly be a problem when jumping. That would definitely affect your grip and position. Tall boots are meant to be pretty form-fitting, which is why most have a zipper in the back, so it can fit the curve of the calf better.
I've seen some of the bootcut riding tights, but honestly never on anyone under 50 y/o. If that's you and that seems more comfortable, then go for it! But if not, it's not really something you see often. I also think that would be uncomfortable because the stirrup leather would pinch.
Good luck!

verona1016 11-30-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belong2 (Post 1778400)
I ride H/J. You certainly can ride in breeches and paddock boots, although it might be tough to find breeches long enough. Most breeches for adults stop above paddock boots-although that might just be because I'm 5'10" :-)

I never could figure out what I was supposed to do with the extra length in my breeches- tuck it into the paddock boot, or leave it over. One day I asked my trainer and she told me it's actually supposed to end above the top of the boots :lol: And for some reason almost no breeches are made in petite!

live to ride 11-30-2012 10:56 PM

Thanks you! also, are lace up, zip, or the side stretchy paddock boots best?

verona1016 12-01-2012 02:58 AM

I have zip ups that also have stretchy side panels (Ariat Heritage III is the model IIRC). The first pair I ever got were lace up and kept getting caught on the hook of the peacock stirrups. I don't use peacock stirrups anymore but I now prefer the zipper, and lace ups aren't very dressage-y anyway :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 12-01-2012 03:17 AM

Was this your first lesson riding English? And you jumped 18 inches at a canter?
pretty darn fast progression. might be a bit reckless, if you ask me.

but as for clothing; knee patch breeches, paddock boots and half chaps are the way to go. And gloves. and a helmet.

live to ride 12-01-2012 02:02 PM

Thanks guys! Im getting paddock boots for Christmas! No this wasnt my first time riding english, but my first jumping lesson. it probably does sound like fast progression! maybe it wasnt 18 inches, i just guessed how high it was. The horse was an amazing horse though, i felt safe. in my next lessons i will back up and work on positions.