The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Leather Gaiters/ Chaps - WHAT TO BUY?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/leather-gaiters-chaps-what-buy-145043/)

KnB 11-29-2012 08:31 AM

Leather Gaiters/ Chaps - WHAT TO BUY?!

Okay so I've decided I'd like a pair of leather gaiters/chaps but I have no clue what to get!
I'll only be using them at pony club - so once a fortnight, and the occasional show jumping show so a few time throughout the year and other events in the year. So anywhere except home use :)
Any suggestions? I heard a lot about Ariat, a lot say their gaiters are really good quality and last forever. I'm unsure as I'd like to spend a little less than ariats as they are a little pricey and I might not be wearing them that often. I know I might not go for the absolute cheapest ones either, they tend to lose colour and the elastic just stretches and it just looks terrible.
So brands, suggestions and prices?
Thank You!
btw I do live in Australia so I may be familiar with only a few brands :) also I'm not too keen on online shopping.
Posted via Mobile Device

minstrel 11-30-2012 06:01 AM

Go for the Ariat, they are more expensive but last forever and shine up as new. And I'd say go for gaiters rather than chaps, as they are more correct and generally look better... I got the chaps, and whilst they're great, I wish I'd gotten the gaiters... my friend has them and always looks so much smarter!

KnB 11-30-2012 08:34 AM

Thanks this was really helpful, yeah I couldn't really understand the difference between chaps an gaiters, I was just going for the leather ones. Either way I think I've decided on the Ariat, still having a look around. I really would like ones with a Spanish top line they look really professional!
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 11-30-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minstrel (Post 1778660)
And I'd say go for gaiters rather than chaps, as they are more correct and generally look better...

So I suspect this is different in American English, but what would you consider the difference between gaiters and chaps? I've never seen the term gaiter used for riding apparel- just for a similar type product (generally nylon or other waterproof material, not leather) sold at sporting good stores for hiking, snowshoeing, etc. Like this: REI Trail Gaiters - Free Shipping at REI.com

I second Ariats- I have a pair of Spanish cut ones that I only use for showing and love them (I have a pair of cheaper suede ones that I use for schooling)

Corporal 11-30-2012 01:20 PM

I'd buy chaps in a heartbeat. On my so far success weight-loss, and there is a pair of motorcycle leather chaps that my married DD left. I'm a seamstress and THOSE are gonna be my riding chaps...soon.

minstrel 11-30-2012 01:50 PM

Gaiters are more for competing, designed to look like tall boots. They are all leather, and zip/lace up the back not the side. they also have a shaped top not a straight one like classical half-chaps.

Gaiter:
http://images.esellerpro.com/2294/I/...ersWebshot.jpg

Half-chap:
http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/Upl...ac55e36d57.jpg

equiniphile 11-30-2012 02:34 PM

The cheaper Ariats have really bad reviews online, but the more expensive ones are phenomenal. I have the Ariat Breezes (Ariat® Breeze Half Chaps | Dover Saddlery) that I spent $129 on. I adore and highly recommend them.

KnB 11-30-2012 07:25 PM

Yep I was going for The gaiters, I got confused because the Ariat range are called "chaps" for some reason. I'm looking into the Ariat Covington Chaps. It's got the Spanish cut and it's so nice looking. A bit pricey but I think it would last a very long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

minstrel 12-01-2012 05:54 AM

They look really smart! Gaiter styles are always more pricey too, but worth it for show wear I think... (:

franknbeans 12-01-2012 08:52 AM

Took me a while to figure out what you were talking about....lol. I am used to chaps being full leg, then half chals being what is pictured above, and I would consider gaiters the same as half chaps, basically, just an upscale one. That said, I had (when I rode English) Ariat half chaps and loved them.