The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Hay Prices (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/hay-prices-145057/)

WillowUpNdunit 11-29-2012 10:35 AM

Hay Prices

Ive never really had to worry about hay as I had a farmer who supplied me... But this year from the "Drought" he doesnt have enough... Am I the ONLY one who thinks no offence to farmers cause I can understand the reasoning for doing this to an extent... But seriously 10.50 a bale on craigslist for 2nd cutting smaller bland grass hay??? I mean COME ON... I do know there is a shortage dont get me wrong.. But I feel as though this is blown out of porportion... They are taking advantage of this.. Making people like me who had 4 horses and were in a good place paying 2 ( which is what ive always had to pay my farmer ) now we are paying 8 dollars more a bale, are going to be forced to sell their horses becuase of supply and demand...when the supply is fraudly based!!! Seriously this is out ragious.. Ive talked to a friend who is a farmer and said they have been getting their hay sold for cheap so long they are taking advantage of this "Drought" I could understand 5,6 dollars a bale.... but 10......... I feel as though the horse market, cattle, and all other hay feeding animals are going to suffer horribly along with owners... I hope everyone buys now stocks up.... so that the farmers have an obundance of hay left over come spring and have to sell cheap becuase they thought they were going to take advantage of everyone and it backfires. Cows are being sent off early .. I know a lot of farmers that dont even have cows this winter!! They sold them to wait till summer next year!! I can still afford my horses dont get me wrong but I deffinitly are being pulled thin with the prices!!!!

Speed Racer 11-29-2012 10:45 AM

New poster with almost the exact same rant another new poster had about a month or so ago? Yeah, I'm not suspicious at all. :?

Are SOME people taking advantage of the drought and upping their prices for hay? Sure, there are unscrupulous people everywhere, like your farmer friend who's deliberately gouging people because he can. Explain to me why you'd consider someone like that a friend? However, the majority of people charging that much for hay aren't making any real money because they haven't gotten more than one cutting, and hay really is scarce. Either that, or it's being trucked in from wherever there isn't a drought, and that price reflects the cost of bringing it in from elsewhere.

My hay is $3.50 for 50-60 pound square bales, but I live in VA where (thank God) we weren't hit very hard, drought wise. The drought is VERY real in some areas, and if you're in one of the hardest hit your hay prices are going to reflect it.

Farmers who raise cattle generally raise their own hay as well. So if they're having to sell their cattle because they haven't grown enough hay, how does that make the drought and hay shortage a 'scam'?

BarrelRacingLvr 11-29-2012 10:55 AM

Really? I don't think you know how much really goes into putting up hay do you lol?

When they run short of what they usually have that knocks down their yearly income from that field. So that means they have to turn down people he would usually sell to because their usual numbers aren't there. And in a DROUGHT I am sure water went up...

And not to mention FUEL for the tractors! Man fuel is 4.15 here and to fill up our 1 ton chevy was over way over $100 this summer when fuel was over $4.50 a gallon. And red diesel isn't much cheaper (have it on our place for our tractor). And a lot goes into the hay fuel wise before it is even baled!

So when your cuttings get wiped to probably HALF if not less what it was when things weren't being destroyed by the drought....ya I get raising the prices. It might not be cool to the buyers but how do you expect the people putting up the hay to make a living?

Right now we are paying $200 a ton year around every year from our main hay guy...and to buy buy the bale he charges a little over $9. I am not complaining....because we know about every hay farmer in our valley and it is tough work.

You need to be a little more appreciative of the work that is needed to put up hay.

DimSum 11-29-2012 11:00 AM

I think the OP should probably read this and then get back to me with any questions http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies...inking0070.gif

Supply and demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

In microeconomics, supply and demand is an economic model of price determination in a market. It concludes that in a competitive market, the unit price for a particular good will vary until it settles at a point where the quantity demanded by consumers (at current price) will equal the quantity supplied by producers (at current price), resulting in an economic equilibrium for price and quantity.
The four basic laws of supply and demand are:[1]
  1. If demand increases and supply remains unchanged, a shortage occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price.
  2. If demand decreases and supply remains unchanged, a surplus occurs, leading to a lower equilibrium price.
  3. If demand remains unchanged and supply increases, a surplus occurs, leading to a lower equilibrium price.
  4. If demand remains unchanged and supply decreases, a shortage occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price.

jaydee 11-29-2012 11:03 AM

People will always take advantage of a situation but right now they are having to haul hay from all over to meet demand and thats going to increase costs if you live in an area in short supply
The one thing that high prices does is make people be more economical about how they feed and avoid wastage so it makes that bale go further
I got a rude reply from another thread - telling me I had no right to own horses because I blanket them rather than feed extra hay - but for me that saves money and also makes the hay in my loft last a lot longer

WillowUpNdunit 11-29-2012 11:04 AM

Ah yes... Remembering why I left this forum 3 years ago.... Way to many bored people that thrive on starting drama and making a poster feel bad about anything they posted.... I was simply stating I understand upping the prices... But they have gone out of proportion....

AlexS 11-29-2012 11:05 AM

The problem is that a farmers income comes from his hay. If he usually gets three cuttings, he can split his income between all three. If he's only getting one cutting, he needs to earn 3 times the amount from that one cutting.

Have you looked into the price or availability of round bales in your area?
Where are you?

WillowUpNdunit 11-29-2012 11:05 AM

And were I am.. the drought was only 2 months... and it still did rain just not a lot.... And for a farmer to tell me that they are taking advantage of the prices... In the same state that im in now... 3 hours north hay is 4-5 dollars a bale... so why is it 10.50 down here.....

WillowUpNdunit 11-29-2012 11:07 AM

alex... I would love to use round bales if I could but with only 4 horses and are in 3 seperate pens it would be to hard ( 2 studs and 2 mares ) so the mares are together but the boys are apart. :( Plus i have no were to store round bales .. wish I could

Speed Racer 11-29-2012 11:07 AM

Nope, you're the one starting drama with your 'ITZ A SCAM!!!' claims. We're merely telling you why it's not a scam. Except for your buddy, the assbucket who told you that he was deliberately raising prices to gouge people. Nice crowd of people you hang with, there.

The prices are proportionate to the demand. If you don't understand simple economics of supply and demand, then we can't help you.

If the prices 3 hours north of you are cheaper, then I suggest you load up your truck and trailer and go get some. Oh, the gas prices will make that too prohibitive? Yeah, welcome to the world of hay having to be trucked in.