The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   jealousy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/jealousy-14509/)

Kirsti Arndt 09-10-2008 09:44 AM

jealousy

i am so jealous of you who own your own farms. tons of work i know and very stressful at times but=still jealous. I am the last one out of the barn most nights and I get to say g'night to the horses, it is lovely, teared me up last night. I almost never get to see them first thing in the morning.
(the softly nicker at me and each other-night jon boy, night maryellen heheheh? i must be really tired-what a sap!!!!!

DashAwayAll 09-10-2008 11:45 AM

Re: jealousy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirsti Arndt
i am so jealous of you who own your own farms. tons of work i know and very stressful at times but=still jealous. !

Well, I live here but I don't own it. Hard work? Um.... it's 70-75 hours a week. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, there is no overtime in farming.

So don't be too jealous.

Kirsti Arndt 09-10-2008 12:16 PM

do you have cattle too? or do you do your own hay????-god that is a ton of hours

Moxie 09-10-2008 01:01 PM

I cant wait to have my own place. It'll be a labor of love!

farmpony84 09-10-2008 02:07 PM

The alarm clock rings at 5:20am and I leap out of bed. I feed the cat, put the dogs out and jump in the Rhino to get to the barn. Blue and Beauty fight w/ each other to get into the barn, I let them race across the aisle into there stalls. Feed them first because they are obnoxious. Feed Black and then Pistol, bring Ri through to his stall, hand him alfalfa w/ his grain. Feed Style and then throw out hay for everyone. Double check the water. Race to the house to take a shower. Get dressed. Get big boy dressed. Carry big boy to the car. Put the dogs in the house. Drive down to the barn, let the horses back out. Drop big boy off at the babysitters... go to work... Work... (ok - goof off on hoseforum) and then drive home, pick up big boy, put dogs out feed horses, water horses, clean stalls, ride riley... cook dinner, do dishes, help big boy w/ homework, put big boy in the bath... put big boy to bed, bring dogs in... sit down.... Unless it's t-ball or riding lesson night, then add more chores...

Yeah... this really is the life...... I LOVE IT!

DashAwayAll 09-11-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

do you have cattle too? or do you do your own hay????-god that is a ton of hours

This is a dairy farm. So there are cows and hay. We milk about 200 cows, twice a day. ( I came from a place that milked about 500 cows, three times a day.) My day starts at 5:00 am and ends when I finish the evening milking. if nothing else is going on - no sick cows, no fresh Mommas, no calves needing TLC... I can get into the house by 8:00 pm.

We were very lucky that Tropical Storm Hannah did no damage to the corn crop.... and we are carefully watching Ike. The corn is very vulnerable right now - we start to chop it next Monday.

Four 'local" dairy farms have gone belly up this month due to the incredibly high cost of operating.

breezeypoo<3 09-11-2008 06:48 AM

It's nice...if you want no social life! Sorry,highschooler talking.

up at 5:15, take a shower,get ready,ect.
by 7 im at the barn feeding/watering Breeze & just check on water on the horses in the fields [they only get grain in the evenings because they have grass

then to school till 3

3-5 is cheering or gymnastics

530 is dinner & hw

7 i ride Breeze, do what barn chores need be done, and water/feed other horses

9-10 hw

10:30 bed

i only get comp time during hw time & gettin ready time...example,now

Kirsti Arndt 09-11-2008 09:13 AM

dash, i had no idea you did such a huge job! i hear you about the economy-it seems the people and businesses we need the most
HELLO ====FEEDING THIS COUNTRY- are the first to suffer.
will keep you in my thoughts that the corn remains undamaged-

DashAwayAll 09-11-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

HELLO ====FEEDING THIS COUNTRY- are the first to suffer.
will keep you in my thoughts that the corn remains undamaged-

Thanks, sweetie.

The mechanic guy here - (I'll try to get a pic for you younger gals. he's a hottie. AND polite, funny, nice. Makes me wish I was 25 again!! :shock: :twisted: ) Anyway, he's my slave cause I make him brownies < evil laugh > He even put up my dog fence the other day while I was milking. The beagles are under house arrest until all the chopping is done, and the big trucks stop roaring in and out. All eyes, hands, and thoughts are praying for the coming harvest.

I may even get pulled out of the milking palor once in a while to drive. ( Also have my CDL's.)

o0hawaiigirl0o 09-11-2008 05:50 PM

I'd like to have a training barn, live on property, have acres of pasture, indoorish arena, round pen, cute ponies... -day dreams- Hard work, I know, but I'd be lovin' it!