The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse is petrified! Not sure what do to??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-petrified-not-sure-what-do-145096/)

shaggy 11-29-2012 07:22 PM

Horse is petrified! Not sure what do to???

Its been forever and day since i posted something on here. I really need some advice im not sure how to handle this situation cause I've never been in this kinda of situation before. I got the to the barn today and got Shaggy as usual. Took him up to the barn to get burrs out and ride him. First he gets fidgety moving all around and looking behind him like something is going eat him. So I figured he'd been back in the hay eating something spooked him. I decided to walk him back there show him nothing is going eat him. He's one of those horses you show him its not gonna eat him and he's ok after that. Anyways as I'm walking he starts flipping out. Thats when I notice this huge piece of machinery as been parked where the hay is. which is also blocking where the horses had free choice hay. At this point Shaggy is completely flipping out and he almost trampled me getting him turned around to go back. When I finally got him back to the ring He is physically shaking he's so worked up and scared. For once I was actually glad for those stupid burrs cause if I hadn't had to get them out I would have gotten right on him and who knows what would have happened. Now idk what to do. Theres no way I can ride him when all he's thinking "is up there is where the scary thing is". Do I say something to the barn owners? I know its their barn they can do whatever they want but they could have told me they put that stupid thing up there. Im really worried that because the water trough is on that side of the field that he's not drinking. Lord only knows what will happen is I try to bring half blind Blaze up there. This whole thing as thrown me for a loop cause Shaggy is hardly scared of anything.

deserthorsewoman 11-29-2012 07:48 PM

I would ask the BO if that thing serves a purpose, like keeping the horses from free access to hay. Then I would tell them what happened and your worries about the water and the almost blind horse getting hurt.
I'd stay super nice, but would demand a solution:-)

shaggy 11-29-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 1778086)
I would ask the BO if that thing serves a purpose, like keeping the horses from free access to hay. Then I would tell them what happened and your worries about the water and the almost blind horse getting hurt.
I'd stay super nice, but would demand a solution:-)

Thanks for the reply Desert thats great advice! I think its just there to be stored honestly cause its done nothing but sit down at their sons house all summer. lol

Northernstar 11-29-2012 07:59 PM

I agree with Deserthorsewoman, and what causes tremendous concern as well is the inability for your horse to access water. That is a biggy. Definately approach your BO right away with the situation, and hopefully she'll just move 'that scary thing' and all will be well! Good luck :)

shaggy 11-29-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northernstar (Post 1778112)
I agree with Deserthorsewoman, and what causes tremendous concern as well is the inability for your horse to access water. That is a biggy. Definately approach your BO right away with the situation, and hopefully she'll just move 'that scary thing' and all will be well! Good luck :)

Thanks NorthernStar I agree with Desert too. Im defiantly going to ask the BO about it and see if something can be done. And I'm not saying his not drinking but i am worried that hes so scared of that side of the field that he's not gonna go to the water ya know.

deserthorsewoman 11-29-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1778111)
Thanks for the reply Desert thats great advice! I think its just there to be stored honestly cause its done nothing but sit down at their sons house all summer. lol

You're welcome:-)
I have plenty experience with people storing stuff where it shouldn't be with horses around.......try passing between two huge tractors, 4 feet of space, with three horses in hand......;-)

shaggy 11-29-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 1778121)
You're welcome:-)
I have plenty experience with people storing stuff where it shouldn't be with horses around.......try passing between two huge tractors, 4 feet of space, with three horses in hand......;-)

wow that sounds scary! I get nervous just walking my two up from the field together! I couldnt imagine having to get them through two huge tractors!

Shropshirerosie 11-29-2012 08:09 PM

The two answers given so far surprised me - my response is quite different. I would say that I like my horses to be used to all different kinds of machinery and to be able to ride past them without them spooking - so I'd honestly treat this as a training opportunity to teach the horse not to be afraid of this particular monster.

However - I don't think I can ever remember a scenario where a horse was so scared of a piece of stationary machinery that the above wasn't possible :? I can imagine getting the response you describe if the machine was full of squealing pigs..... but not just a standing 'thing'.

deserthorsewoman 11-29-2012 08:13 PM

Who knows who or what was hiding behind it or it has moving parts.
Machinery doesn't belong where horses are eating, IMO. For desensitizing it can sit somewhere out of the way. Works just the same.

LesandLily 11-29-2012 08:15 PM

I guess I may have a little different take on it...is the thing really dangerous and truly keeping the horses from feeding and watering OR is it just something that is making them nervous and they are wary of it. If the latter is the case then it may be a great opportunity to do some desensitizing to scary objects and help him to learn what to do when something cares him...particularly when he is with you.

I think sometimes our first reaction is to take away things that make them nervous when instead (as long it is safe to do so) we should use that as an opportunity to train on them and get them over their fear. With my daughter's horse we had a tendencies to avoid things that scared him (which seemed to be everything) when once we started exposing him to more things and teaching him how to handle his fear, he got much better. Horses will always be wary of things but if we can teach them to look to us as to how they should react, we make it safer for both us and them.

Saying that, if whatever they are storing is truly dangerous to the horses or is really blocking the feed / water bins then it does need to be moved for safety reasons.

Cheers!
Les