The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Soon to be a new horse owner! HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/soon-new-horse-owner-help-145102/)

Misa 11-29-2012 07:15 PM

Soon to be a new horse owner! HELP!

I'm moving to Georgia in a few months and will be looking for my first horse!

I will have a 1 acre pasture with medium grazing.
I'll be riding almost every day 3-6 hours a day. (hopefully!)

I want to do a little jumping with my horse (just for fun, nothing big!) and i want to keep my horse in tip-top shape! I understand about all vaccinations and hoof care and tooth care.

Can anyone tell me suggested foods, hay, etcetc. I will need to keep my horse in tip-top shape?

Plus any tips on what to physically look for in a new horse! I am an experienced rider but a total nubie when it comes to buying horses!

MsBHavin 11-29-2012 07:30 PM

I would suggest finding a knowledgeable horse person to take you under their wing and teach you the ways of horse owning :) plus, if you take them horse shopping they can help you find a horse that is perfect for you :)

Good luck

Northernstar 11-29-2012 07:52 PM

Welcome to the forum, Misa! I would like to highly recommend an awesome book titled, "Horsekeeping On A Small Acreage" by Cherry Hill - It's almost always found at any library, or you can purchase it on Amazon (I bought my copy for $3.00 in great condition) - it is very full of excellent advice and information! Best of luck! :)

Vidaloco 11-29-2012 08:15 PM

That is a great book, I recommend it too. I would also like to add, put the right fence up the first time. Don't waste money putting up something cheap, just to hold the horse. Put up good pipe or rail fence BEFORE you get the horse. We've started using Standlee hay products and have been very happy with it.

Misa 11-29-2012 08:59 PM

Thank you! My dad (i'm only 19) wants to put up the fence using field fence with two rows of barbed wire on the top.
I'm not too keen on the barbed wire but he won't take no for an answer.
We're going to use wooden fence posts and i'll be helping him build a small barn for the horse.

alexis rose 11-29-2012 09:03 PM

Welcome to the forum and also welcome to Georgia! What town will you be moving to?

Misa 11-29-2012 09:09 PM

I'll be moving to Lake park! (:

toosexy4myspotz 11-29-2012 09:09 PM

if you use barbed wire run a strand of hot wire at the top. we have field wire fencing but i still use hot wire at the top and middle to keep them away from my fencing
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 11-29-2012 09:11 PM

Try talking him into a barbless hot wire instead.

Misa 11-29-2012 09:13 PM

Thanks! I'll try and talk him in to it! (: