The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   General Gymkhana Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/general-gymkhana-help-145165/)

Hailey1203 11-30-2012 11:37 AM

General Gymkhana Help!

So. A friend of mine has two horses. One is a well broke quarter horse, around 15.1hh. The other is a wound up standardbred cross. Anyways, a few weeks ago, we went on a trail ride together. I rode Adobe, the quarter horse. We had a good ride, nothing spectacular really, just a calm ride.

Now, my friend and i are going to a gymkhana tomorrow. Its her birthday present to me :D Yay! I am so ridiculously excited.

However, i have never done a gymkhana before. I know the patterns and the rules, but that's about it.

So, my first gymkhana, on a horse ive ridden once.

Tips pleeaaassse!

DrumRunner 11-30-2012 11:46 AM

lol Relax! Just have fun with it, don't get yourself worked up, just remember you're going for a good time with your friend and just do your best. If it's your friend fun show I'd just really take the time to sit back and watch how things work, get into it and ask questions. The biggest thing is to just remember to have fun with it.

Hailey1203 11-30-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1778965)
lol Relax! Just have fun with it, don't get yourself worked up, just remember you're going for a good time with your friend and just do your best. If it's your friend fun show I'd just really take the time to sit back and watch how things work, get into it and ask questions. The biggest thing is to just remember to have fun with it.

Thank you! I need to remember to take a deep breath lol. I'm very competitive, and i need to keep reminding myself that I'm just going for fun.

DrumRunner 11-30-2012 11:53 AM

I definitely know what you mean when being competitive about things, I am too. Don't let your competitiveness get in the way of having fun, or if you don't do so well in one class make sure not to get worked up over it, it'll just stress you out and could make you take the classes too serious which can cause you to mess up. lol Just take a breath and go with the flow.

Hailey1203 11-30-2012 12:00 PM

Thats my plan. Up until about 2 months ago, i did only english riding. But im absolutely falling in love with the western side of things. So this is one more thing i can cross of my list of riding activities!

DrumRunner 11-30-2012 12:32 PM

Woo! Bringing you over to the dark side! We have cookies and bling!

CLaPorte432 11-30-2012 12:33 PM

*Snickers*...Welcome to the dark side. :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

Hailey1203 11-30-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1779049)
Woo! Bringing you over to the dark side! We have cookies and bling!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1779052)
*Snickers*...Welcome to the dark side. :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

What is this bling you speak of? You mean... i dont have to wear plain black boots with plain breeches and a plain jacket with a plain helmet? Oh my!

Thank you both. I think im gonna like it here

DrumRunner 11-30-2012 12:44 PM

lol AND you can have blingy tack! With like crystals!

Hailey1203 11-30-2012 12:49 PM

Ooo! I like crystals! :shock: