The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Quick Question: Should I bandage this?(pics) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/quick-question-should-i-bandage-pics-145179/)

IRaceBarrels 11-30-2012 12:40 PM

Quick Question: Should I bandage this?(pics)

My mare had a panic attack in the trailer on our way to lessons. She cut up her legs and eye. The cuts aren't deep but due to their location should they be wrapped up? Should she stay stalled? She is herd bound so it would stress her to stay in. I can have my BO bring her in from turn out if it rains. Everyone is saying that there isn't a need for a vet. she is walking fine, just a bit of swelling in her hocks. I'm just a little worried about infection from urine and manure.
On a side note I'm getting shipping boots.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...g?t=1354296538

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...g?t=1354296533

montcowboy 11-30-2012 12:52 PM

hey there.your going to hear alot of conflicting answers on this one..lol. but after 50 years of doctoring horses.those i would let heal on there own. the swelling is probably from her not using it enough to move the blood up the leg so some riding would be good. start slow. most horses heal far better then we humans think they do.they been wild a very long time and doing fine. ride safe..

IRaceBarrels 11-30-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montcowboy (Post 1779089)
hey there.your going to hear alot of conflicting answers on this one..lol. but after 50 years of doctoring horses.those i would let heal on there own. the swelling is probably from her not using it enough to move the blood up the leg so some riding would be good. start slow. most horses heal far better then we humans think they do.they been wild a very long time and doing fine. ride safe..

Really you think I should ride her? I don't know if I feel comfortable with doing that yet. But I will walk her or maybe lunge her to get the blood moving. Thanks!

Elana 11-30-2012 01:03 PM

I would wash it well (soap and water) and dry it well and then put Powdered Alum on it. Keep an eye on it and if not lame, very swollen and so forth, not worry.

Did she cut it with her opposite foot?

Corporal 11-30-2012 01:12 PM

I use both shipping boots and polo wraps with quilts. IF you use shipping boots, velcro them AS TIGHT AS POSSIBLE, bc they will slip down and bc somewhat useless if you don't. If you use polo wraps and quilts wrap inside to outside, starting at the middle, wrapping up to the knee/hock, down to the hoof, then up to finish at the middle. Make them snug by pulling each time you pull backwards toward the tail.
The ONLY time there was a serious accident was when a newbie friend--now NOT a horse owner--pushed me to rush. We were stopping at the Vet's on the way to a local trail ride, to get blood for Coggins for the upcoming trail riding vacation out West. Ironically it was HER mare who reloaded after she didn't untie the lead, then ripped the tendon off of the front of a rear leg cannon bone on my trailer. The Vet scrubbed and stitched the wound. The mare recovered bc of the quick veterainary care. I will never forget my horror, especially since I had sold her this fine, previously abused mare. NOBODY trailers without wraps or shipping boots since then, EVERY TIME. Some folks also use bell boots and head protectors, too. It's easy to replace them if they are ripped in the trailer. It takes years of work, building respect and relationship--much harder to replace.
If I were to have won this week's lottery I would still keep my current horses bc of the time involved and invested.

IRaceBarrels 11-30-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elana (Post 1779112)
I would wash it well (soap and water) and dry it well and then put Powdered Alum on it. Keep an eye on it and if not lame, very swollen and so forth, not worry.

Did she cut it with her opposite foot?

Thanks for the tip. My BO cleaned them better and put some antiseptic spray on them. I'll be sure to keep them clean. She cut three legs but the two weren't bad. The less bloody leg has 2 or 3 smaller cuts to the side. A front leg has a small cut over the knee. Luckly I put splint boots on her front before we left.

SlideStop 11-30-2012 01:49 PM

I would probably not ride her, but let her move around in turn out to reduce swelling (swelling is not due to blood). Clean it with soap and water and apply and antiseptic spray for a few days until it scabs well. If your really crazy about wound care like some of the people I know you can put ointment on it, gauze, then some vet wrap over it. Either way it doesn't make a difference, I guess it all a matter of how fanatical you are about germs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 11-30-2012 02:24 PM

I would wrap both back legs. My hubby is a vet, while he does not do equine anymore, many say he was the best leg man around and he always wraps. He taught me the same. Swelling is bad for a horses legs, the hoof does not expand with the leg causing constricted blood flow, and if you need to see the vet tomorrow for some reason it is much better to have no swelling.

Wash and medicate the wound, put a telfa pad over the cut and wrap. Change bandage tomorrow and wrap again.

I would always err on the side of caution.

kassierae 11-30-2012 02:57 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 11-30-2012 03:54 PM

I would clean and use a antiseptic coating spray, lightly wrap to keep it clean, as soon as I saw swelling or indication of pain Id call the vet though. Has your horse had a tetanus shot ? Horses are very suseptable (SP haha cant even get close enough for spellcheck) umm Horses can get tetanus easy, and it is usually fatal if not caught right away. Cuts like that on metal is the usual source.