The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipper buying newbie! Which one?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipper-buying-newbie-one-145222/)

MoodIndigo 11-30-2012 10:44 PM

Clipper buying newbie! Which one?!

Hello HF! Long time no see.

I am looking to buy a nice pair of clippers.
I only have one horse so they don't have to be absolutely top-of-the-line but I have a decent amount I'm willing to spend for ones that will last.

I would ultimately like to be able to body clip and do regular the bridle path, muzzle, tail, ect with them... If that's even possible in one machine? I am such a newbie to these... Are there different blades to put on that cuts the body vs. muzzle? Or do I need a whole separate set of clippers for the little stuff?

I am drooling over the Andis AGC Two-speed http://www.statelinetack.com/item/an...ade/SLT054469/
Would this work for what I want? Or are there any others you recommend?

Any help appreciated! :)

Left Hand Percherons 11-30-2012 11:03 PM

All I'm going to say is spend the $$ and get a good set of clippers right from the get go. I've only owned A5s (after a few sets of crap cheap clippers) and the first pair lasted 17 years (broke when kicked), second 10 years (dropped than stepped on by a draft) and the 3rd is at 2 years. I keep 15+ trimmed up year round. You will go with different blades for different areas and you can get wider blades to bodyclip. Start with #10 for general blending and a #30 or #40 for the muzzle and bridlepath. #7 or #10 wide for bodyclipping.

MoodIndigo 11-30-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 1779805)
You will go with different blades for different areas and you can get wider blades to bodyclip. Start with #10 for general blending and a #30 or #40 for the muzzle and bridlepath. #7 or #10 wide for bodyclipping.

Awesome. So if I got the Andis in my post I could do all types of clipping with them just using different blades?

happytrailstoyou 12-01-2012 08:28 AM

I Just bought these clippers, I'am in the same position as you, I did my research and it seems the andis clippers with T84 blade are the best bang for your buck. I'am only looking to body clip/ do routine clipping on one horse though but anyway will let you know how they work when I get them in, for my first time think I may just stay with a easy trace clip lol:shock:

Left Hand Percherons 12-02-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodIndigo (Post 1779809)
Awesome. So if I got the Andis in my post I could do all types of clipping with them just using different blades?

Absolutely.
The blade it comes with would be a good bodyclipping set. You will maybe get one full bodyclip with a set of blades then plan on replacing them. You can use it for the legs and head but why not save them and just go with the smaller #10. (I think they are easier to manipulate and blend with) You can certainly use the same size to do everything. That way as you learn the mistakes aren't as glaring and grow out faster.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-02-2012 01:39 AM

Groomer's Edge Portable - Variable Speed Clipper Double K Industries (Grooming - Clippers - A5 Type

These are the absolute best clippers you can buy, if you can afford them. You can do everything with them and you can adjust speed/noise for the anxious horse. LOVE LOVE LOVE my Double K's.

If that's more than you can comfortably spend, then the Andis would be my 2nd choice. Or a Turbo A5, I like those pretty well too but they are so fast they get hot.

I also have these: 610 Clipmaster Variable Speed Jarden Consumer Solutions (Grooming - Clippers - Large Hair Head)

As a back up for body clipping and then a Turbo A5 for face and detail type stuff. I use Oster Cord/Cordless Trimmer Jarden Consumer Solutions (Grooming - Clippers - Trimmers Light), these for eyes, ears, fine details stuff.

Depending on how into it you get, and how much clipping you do, you can end up with several clippers and I have a couple of boxes of replacement blades.

Foxhunter 12-02-2012 05:56 PM

As someone who professionally clips, the clippers I love are the Laube clippers, these are battery run, which last for about 45 minutes and I got two batteries and charger in the kit.
They are dual speed fairly quiet, light and have an interchangeable head to take wide and narrow blades.

Although these are made for dog clipping they are tough enough to do a hairy horse and the blades do not heat up.

happytrailstoyou 12-12-2012 06:48 PM

Got my clippers in and did a trace clip on my very fluffy QH, the clippers made it so easy to clip him and they were so quiet and light and easy to use! They never really ever got hot, I would stop every 10- 20 min to make sure they were not to hot and oil and clean them but that was about it! The T-84 blade is amazing and making body clipping very easy!! LOVE LOVE LOVE andis clippers!!! :D