The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   Introducing Windy Dean, a.k.a. Rebel! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/introducing-windy-dean-k-rebel-145238/)

Lwhisperer 12-01-2012 01:10 AM

Introducing Windy Dean, a.k.a. Rebel!

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I know he's not a BABY baby, but my husband and I just acquired a 7-month old AQHA colt. AND I have "new mommy syndrome," so I apologize for the very long description and many pictures that will likely follow.

The poor baby had been posted on our local Craigslist for a long time and I watched his price drop every week... Once it hit $100, something in me snapped and I knew we had to go check on this horse. My instincts were correct, and the lady who owned him hadn't taken care of him at all. In his first 6 months, she literally did not touch him... Just let him and mom sit out on a pasture. When she decided she wanted to sell him, she brought them in and halter/lead trained him (to a point). She did not worry about desensitizing him to anything else. His hooves were WAY too long, as they had never been handled, let alone trimmed. He had a hay belly and his ribs were showing... I knew we had to get him out of that situation.

So we brought him home on the 21st. Hubby has worked with his desensitizing every day since we got him and the difference in his mannerisms is amazing for only having been here for 9 days. Now, he is comfortable with being touched/rubbed all over, loves to be groomed, and allows his front feet to be picked up. The back feet are the next project. Since he is not yet comfortable with his backs, we will be giving him a mild sedative for his first trimming this Sunday.

We had him gelded yesterday, and he is bouncing back very well. Has shown no pain and very little soreness. So far, there has been almost no swelling.

What really impresses me about Rebel is his personality and character. He is so smart and curious! I can't believe how quickly he learns and how willing to please he is. I have a feeling we have gotten ourselves a great little horse. Anyway, here are pics of the day we purchased him:

Lwhisperer 12-01-2012 01:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pic #1 is from the day we brought him home, while he was getting comfy in his stall.

Pic #2 and 3 are from about 5 hours after his geld yesterday.

QOS 12-01-2012 01:37 AM

He is darling! Love love love his bright sorrel color! What are his bloodlines? I think when you get him filled out and and cleaned up he is going to be precious. Can't wait to hear more about him.

Lwhisperer 12-01-2012 02:06 AM

He is registered (papers in the mail) AQHA. And I mistyped his registered name! It's actually "Windy Boy." Windy Dean is his daddy!

Sire: WW Windy Dean Ww Windy Dean Quarter Horse

Dam: Salutes B Girl (couldn't find her on allbreed, but I have her registration number on hand in some paperwork. I'm told she has "Skip It Bar" on her papers, but that's all I know on her right now.)

Lwhisperer 12-01-2012 02:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
AND here are some pics from today that hubby took while he was working with him and trying on his new halter. We had bought him a "weanling" size when we first decided to get him. It was too small... Went a size up to "yearling," and as you can see, it's awfully big. But it works when you use the tightest slot... I guess he'll grow into it soon enough. Lol!

P.S. I am simply in love with his little snip!

QOS 12-01-2012 02:15 AM

I saw that in the pictures and I think his snip is too cute!!!

tinyliny 12-01-2012 02:19 AM

They are going to be real sorry they let him go for so cheap. He'll be a lovely QH, looks pretty typey.

Lwhisperer 12-01-2012 02:27 AM

Thank you, tinyliny! I'm not a great judge of confo, but even to my lesser trained eyes, he looks very solid. I was told his daddy's bloodline is made up of Ranch Performance horses, and the previous owner had bought his mom based on her bloodlines to use as a broodmare for breeding barrel racers. She said the only reason she didn't want this colt was that he didn't have barrel racers on his top end. I don't understand that logic, as I've seen/heard of lots of barrel racers who only had speed on one side of the papers. But to each his own, I guess.

QOS 12-01-2012 02:46 AM

I think his head is cute as can be and he seems to have a typical QH butt - I love a big QH butt!!! Biscuit has a nice bum and I think this boy will too!

Lwhisperer 12-01-2012 02:51 AM

Yeah, his big beautiful bum is one of the first things that got my attention. Love a horse with a good "engine!" :)