The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique cantering video (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-cantering-video-145253/)

howrsegirl123 12-01-2012 10:24 AM

Critique cantering video

Could you critique me here? You can critique the horse some to but he's my sister's horse and I just hopped on him for a second.
Thanks!

xJumperx 12-01-2012 11:20 PM

Looking good!
You have a bit of a chair seat, but it looks like your stirrups may be a bit short. I would drop them a whole set, and that should be fine. If you still have the chair seat, I would say I'd ask you to pull your tailbone up under you and make sure you are sitting nice and tall.
Also, your hands are just a tad too far back. I'd only use one hand if you were doing Western pleasure, and get your hand out there. Not a straight arm, just a little farther though.

howrsegirl123 12-01-2012 11:31 PM

Thank you. The stirrups were too short, but they were my sisters length. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 12-01-2012 11:58 PM

the horse looks a bit like he's laboring at that canter. Like he's not freed up in his shoulder. He has very little reach and appears tight, almost like he's cantering through molasses.

you would be better to drop your stirrup a bit, ( I know, sis's saddle). you do more work absorbing the motion with your upper body than perhaps you should. If you were looser in your hip, you'd be able to absorb the motion more there, with a stiller upper body. this might also help free up the horse a bit. It's almost like you are "pumping" him along.

Also, maybe let him have a bit more rein until he picks up and moves a bit better. He may be leary of the mid length you have becaseu it tightens, loosens, tightens, loosens, with each stride , creating a rythmic bumping on his mouth.

howrsegirl123 12-02-2012 12:14 AM

I agree, he does look tight. My sister and I were actually talking about that the day of this video. Most of the time he moves looser.
I don't really understand the 'pumping' part though. I've had this said to me before but I don't feel like I am at all-when I'm riding him, since he has such a smooth canter, all I have to do and all I do is sit there.
Posted via Mobile Device

sillyhorses 12-02-2012 02:45 AM

Looks good, although there is definitely a "pumping" appearance - not all of the time, but probably 85%. You lean forward then rock back... I don't think it would be so noticeable if you tried to keep in mind that your shoulders should remain over your hips. You seem to be leaning over the pommel, then rocking back... as has been said, try to loosen your hips. Maybe imagine a rolling motion from your waist down?

Overall, you look great! Especially since you are riding with too-short stirrups - it always makes me feel awkward and stiff when my stirrups are too short, lol.

tinyliny 12-02-2012 03:44 AM

I think it's kind of like if you are "riding" a big excersize ball, you keep your upper body still, and you bring the ball forward, or sideways, or backwards with your pelvis. You bring the ball to YOU, not you moving your upper body around to match the ball.
When you canter, you need to use your core muscles to almost bring the hrose up forward, than back , then forward, back but not pushing with your upper body.

GotaDunQH 12-05-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howrsegirl123 (Post 1781115)
I agree, he does look tight. My sister and I were actually talking about that the day of this video. Most of the time he moves looser.
I don't really understand the 'pumping' part though. I've had this said to me before but I don't feel like I am at all-when I'm riding him, since he has such a smooth canter, all I have to do and all I do is sit there.
Posted via Mobile Device

What I see is a nice slow-legged horse, which is what you want for Western, but you are pumping with your upper body. I wouldn't change the horse and the molasses look because that is what a good Western horse is supposed to be...slow-legged and steady. So, that is why some might think he looks "labored"....you are over-riding at the lope. He should be carrying you, instead of you pushing him. But it's an easy fix on your part....keep your upper body quiet.