The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Cleaning and treating a wound when the horse kicks (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cleaning-treating-wound-when-horse-kicks-145319/)

TurnNburn22 12-01-2012 09:30 PM

Cleaning and treating a wound when the horse kicks

So my 5 yr old thoroughbred decided to get himself a nice gash on his back leg today out in the pasture. Normally I wouldn't stress over it but he hates his back legs being touched and since he is still somewhat new with me I'm still working on his bad habit. He kicks when you try touch anywhere near is back legs so trying to clean and treat his wound was difficult and stressful for both of us. What can I do to work with him on his kicking out so that it's easier to clean his gash? Thanks!!

BarrelRacingLvr 12-01-2012 09:47 PM

Lip Twitch, Lip Chain, or Sedation....it is going to be hard to work with back legs when they are injured.

cakemom 12-01-2012 11:06 PM

My first step would be picking up the front foot on the same side (normally id do the other back foot but sounds like that's not an option ) hold that foot up while treating. He will have a hard time kicking. Have a holder and someone handing you supplies.
Posted via Mobile Device

aldebono 12-01-2012 11:19 PM

I would suggest starting off with hosing the injury. This will get him use to it being touched and desensitize the area a little with the cold water and stimulation. Then if the cut isn't very bad and doesn't need to be wrapped, get a spray on antibiotic. My favorite is Dermoplast which I find at Walgreens or CVS.

I personally wouldn't jump right to a twitch. But it does need to be doctored and I am sure you can't call the vet out for sedation every day.

Try what I suggested and then work on desensitizing those legs. My Appendix has badly injured his legs over 4 times from getting his legs caught and panics if he feels his legs restricted. Get ahead of this and hobble train him so he is comfortable with restriction.

Golden Horse 12-01-2012 11:24 PM

Underwoods Underwood Horse Medicine - Wynnewood Oklahoma I used it on Big Bert when she was at the stage of trying to kill me if I tried to treat her leg, with the Underwoods she soon learned to stand still, and in the end i could just walk up to her in the pen and spray and powder her, and it did a great job.

aldebono 12-01-2012 11:37 PM

Underwoods is easy because you just reapply, no washing off old medicine and no applying with fingers. Just quirt and dust. You get pretty accurate.

TurnNburn22 12-02-2012 12:17 AM

I tried picking up the front leg but he still managed to kick out with his back. I washed off the area and sprayed on an antibiotic and let that dry and then applied salve. It was a struggle and a long process so tomorrow I will try a different route. Thanks for all of your advice. What is underwoods exactly?

aldebono 12-02-2012 02:23 AM

Underwoods is some serious stuff. I don't really know how to tell you what it is so here is the website.
Underwood Horse Medicine - Wynnewood Oklahoma

Keep this stuff away from pets and kids and you may not want it to get on your hands.

Really great stuff. Easiest way for my parents to dress my geldings leg when I sent him home to prevent more accidents.

Smokum 12-03-2012 05:01 AM

Try giving him some bute 20 minutes prior to cold hosing it down for another 10 minutes. After that work towards whipping his leg down with a clean white towel.

Your horses leg hurts he dont want you to touch it. But all and all. Gradually work towards the wound from the top of his body, working down, use a brush if it helps to relax him.
Example: Its like you have a yearling colt being handled for the first time. He just needs reassurance your not going to hurt him.
He is a horse and sometimes you have to go back to the basics and go slow.
If he gets on edge when your standing at a certain spot, step back a inch and brush were he was comfortable with you. build from there.

Otherwise have someone hold his front same side hoof up.

Prinella 12-03-2012 05:54 AM

When Ella was hurt I had to resort to sedation. I learnt to do the IVs independently it meant I could properly clean the wound.