The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Someone please tell me how fun jumping is... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/someone-please-tell-me-how-fun-145322/)

howrsegirl123 12-01-2012 10:18 PM

Someone please tell me how fun jumping is...

I've only jumped a little bit, on two different horses. Small verticals and cross rails. I enjoy the small stuff, but I'm nervous about jumping any higher. I want to though, and my horse is good and he likes to jump. But I just need to know what's it like. So, do you like jumping higher fences? How can I become more confident to do it?
Posted via Mobile Device

aldebono 12-01-2012 11:35 PM

Start small, get a good trainer that knows the boundaries of the students abilities, Heels Down!, know that you will fall, and know that you will be too worried about catching your horse to notice any bumps, Don't worry about blue ribbons just do better each ride, remember to Breathe through your courses!, don't be afraid to Grrrrrrrowl!!! if your horse is looking at a jump, and the people at the trailers being able to hear you yell "Geeet Uuuuuuup!!!" while you are on your cross country course know you are going down a bank.

I was jumping 2'3" and I don't have much desire to do too much higher when I start again.

There is nothing like cantering through a cross country course. It is absolutely heaven to be out there with just you and your horse, trying to navigate through the woods and stay on course. Not noticing the jump judges or bystanders. Those three strides before the jump you are counting down to get the right spot.
Gah! I want to ride!

freia 12-01-2012 11:35 PM

You start small and move up gradually. When you're confident and competent at one height, the next incremental increase doesn't seem intimidating at all.

Of course we like jumping, or we wouldn't do it. Ever wished you could fly? Next best thing.

Lexiie 12-01-2012 11:43 PM

Yes!! Jumping is so fun!!

When i started learning, I actually quit lessons because I was so scared.

Then I started again and I found that jumping is my favorite thing. The fact that my horse trust me enough to go over some weird thing I pointed her at? Yeah(:

I started small and stayed small for a while. With lots of encouragement from my instructor we made it(:

You'll have one of those moments where you look at a fence (for me it was 2'6") before you jump it and think to yourself "I used to be terrified of that jump and now I'm not!"
It takes getting used to, but it is so much fun!!

Oh and even if you find you don't like jumping, that's just fine(:

DancingArabian 12-02-2012 01:17 AM

It's scary while you're doing it and then when it's over you want to do it all over again and you wonder why you were scared. I find jumping a few jumps to be a huge rush. At least that's how it is for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 12-02-2012 07:48 AM

Some people like challenges and/or the adrenaline rush-others don't. Jumping does increase the chance of injury. I hope no one is holding a gun to your head & forcing you into jumping-make up your own mind, knowing you can change it if you feel more confident. I get the feeling you are under the age of voting & in the years of trying to figure out who you are. Believe me-it never ends.

howrsegirl123 12-02-2012 09:28 AM

I'm 18, and no, no one is forcing me. Like I said, I want to be able to jump higher, but I'm kinda nervous.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ellipsis 12-03-2012 11:37 AM

Practice, Practice, Practice and more Practice is how you get better at jumping. It is a blast to be able to jump fences. The bigger fences have a different feel to them than the smaller ones. But you will get there. I have been riding 13 years consistently and I am just now jumping over 4ft. I'm not saying it will take everyone that long, but it does take a lot of work. When you are learning it is best that you start with school master type horses that will allow you to make some mistakes.

Jumping is simply in theory. Wait for the horse to take off before you get in two point. Get out of the saddle and bend at the waist. And be sure to release. A lot of people over think jumping. Don't put too much pressure on yourself :)

It's a lot of fun

ThoroughbredJumper 12-04-2012 10:13 AM

STICK WITH IT STICK WITH IT STICK WITH IT! Jumping IS freedom! Jumping IS flight! Jumping is giving your horse a chance to stretch its angel wings that every horse has been given! Jumping is exciting, challenging, diverse, fun, and lets face it, it makes for a great picture ;) haha. Ive been jumping for over 8 years and never looked back and said "wow.. wish i hadnt done that..." its magic! :) the control of dressage, the speed of a racer, the precision work of endurance, the calm head of a trail rider, the turns of a barrel racer. Jumping is just the greatest! And ive even heard dressage people saying they wish they could jump, but dont have the gut. Build up your confidence, and grab the reins! :D

ThoroughbredJumper 12-04-2012 10:14 AM

and im jumping over 4ft now on a fiery little 16.2 TB with a heart of gold. Just have confidence in yourself and your horse and it will take you all the way :) and never focus on the negative or it will consume you.