The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   I was told he's a purebred Arab, but I'm not so sure. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/i-told-hes-purebred-arab-but-145370/)

JustImagine 12-02-2012 12:13 PM

I was told he's a purebred Arab, but I'm not so sure.

7 Attachment(s)
I bought Imagine about 8 months ago thinking he was an Arab mix. I called his previous owners a few months after I got him asking if he had papers because I was curious as to what he is mixed with and they told me he is an unregistered purebred Egyptian Arabian, and that they have friends who breed purebred Arabs and they sometimes end up looking like QHs. Imagine has the high tail carriage, but his gaits are really smooth and dressage like when I can get his head down and using his hindquarters more. He's 14'1 and 13 years old. I think his head looks Arab-like from the front, but not at all from the side. He's very athletic as well and absolutely bomb proof; I trained him to jump after I got him (he was a western horse before) and he'll jump anything I put in his way. I'm just curious as to if anyone else thinks he's a purebred or if he looks like he's mixed with a certain breed :-)

CLaPorte432 12-02-2012 12:16 PM

893 Attachment(s)
He looks purebred to me. But without papers and knowing his exact history, i guess theres no way to be absolutely certain. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

BornToRun 12-02-2012 12:16 PM

I dunno, he looks a lot like an arab to me.

Cowgirls Boots 12-02-2012 12:17 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I definitely just see a pure Arab. Maybe a hint of something else but he's definitely got alot if not all Arab in him. IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

Eolith 12-02-2012 12:21 PM

It's not hard for me to believe that he's a purebred Arab.

BarrelracingArabian 12-02-2012 12:26 PM

Looks pure the arab i used to ride was a stocky boy and his sister looked a lot like your guy there although she had a way bigger head with zero type-yness. Our arabs were more built to last than looks so non of them were typey except for one mare. Not at all hard to believe he is full.
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 12-02-2012 12:35 PM

I'm betting all Arab. Just the way they are supposed to look instead of the hideously lightly built ones you see all over the place.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 12-02-2012 01:05 PM

He looks Arab to me. There are lots of mostly Arab crosses that look purebred also. But whatever you will probably never know except he looks like a very nice horse and you are enjoying him. And that's wonderful for both of you!

JustImagine 12-02-2012 01:13 PM

Thank you everyone for your input! We are very much enjoying each other, he's amazing =] I've just heard from people that he looks Arab, but not like a purebred so I was just curious what other people possibly thought.

DancingArabian 12-02-2012 01:19 PM

He looks like he has a fair bit of Arab in him but I doubt he's pure simply because he's not registered. Who breeds purebreds and doesn't register them?