The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Roach or not to roach.. that is the question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/roach-not-roach-question-145390/)

mpleasance 12-02-2012 04:15 PM

Roach or not to roach.. that is the question

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the cheesy title :lol: I just thought it fit the topic perfectly. I just want some opinions on what I should do with my mares mane. I have no disciplinary regulations so there is nothing holding me back in either direction. Thanks :)

the first picture is a rather older picture but that is usually how her mane is while she is lounging around the barn

the middle picture is only last summer when we had some pictures done. I just put that in so you can see the side view with no mane

Third, this is her mane when we get all dolled up to go somewhere :) (kinda hard to see but its one of the better ones I have.

riccil0ve 12-02-2012 04:19 PM

If you want to do it, she'd look fine with a roach or Mohawk. I keep my Paint mare's roached, it's just easier. When I do let it grow out, it comes in much thicker than it was originally. It just comes down to personal preference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 12-02-2012 04:25 PM

She will look really really good roached, but she looks really pretty on her going out braids as well:lol:

I vote for a roach though, so much easier, and if you hate it grow it out

mpleasance 12-02-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1781831)
She will look really really good roached, but she looks really pretty on her going out braids as well:lol:

I vote for a roach though, so much easier, and if you hate it grow it out

There is so many pros and cons. I think maybe one of the bigest things holding me back is my own fear of cutting my hair to short lol:shock:

CLaPorte432 12-02-2012 05:05 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I'd roach it. I love the look on a nice thick neck.

LeafOnTheWind 12-03-2012 03:13 AM

Ooh definitely roach it! She has a gorgeous neck, and it would really suit her :D I recently roached my mare's mane (similar build to your girl) with the intention of maintaining it at about 1" and I love it!! And so easy to care for too, it will definitely be a breath of fresh air after dealing with that long mane!

clairegillies 12-03-2012 03:40 AM

I love her long mane! I would definatley

I wish my pony had such a nice one, usually its a bit rubbed of at the top where she scratches and a bit missing at the bottom where somebody has chewed it.

Claire

mpleasance 12-03-2012 12:13 PM

If I do roach it and decide I dont like it... How is it going to grow back in? Will it have a harder time staying on once side more than it does now?

BarrelRacingLvr 12-03-2012 01:40 PM

I personally am a mane lover....and think she looks great with a long mane. I personally am not a fan of the roached look, but that is just me.

I work hard to keep my horses manes perrrty and love the look.

gogaited 12-03-2012 02:08 PM

I like her mane. The only horse I ever roached was the fugly Appy type I posted here. She had a wisp going one way, a few sticking up, a few going the other way. And it never grew back any different.