The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Does this weanling have the pedigree/conformation to be a reiner? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/does-weanling-have-pedigree-conformation-reiner-145415/)

Sliding Stop 12-02-2012 07:39 PM

Does this weanling have the pedigree/conformation to be a reiner?

My old reining horse is getting up there in age, and sadly he will be retired in a few years. However I recently got a filly who I'd like to train to rein, high level. When I posted her picture on another forum (where most users are strictly halter or WP) everyone thought she was, and I quote, disgustingly built and wouldn't amount to anything but a local show pony or a trail horse". :cry: I was just coming here for a second opinion, please don't sugar coat anything! :-)

As far as pedigree goes, she's sired by Plenty O Paddy's Lena and out of Plentobarlady.

Grandsire is Paddy's Irish Whiskey, great grandsires Doc O Dynamite and Peppy San Badger, her great granddam is Docs Starlight.

Her sire and dam are on the All Breed site, so feel free to look 'em up. i know her pedigree isn't amazing, but I'd still like opinions on it.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...inbow/ivy1.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...inbow/ivy2.jpg

Wanstrom Horses 12-25-2012 10:11 PM

Well whoever said the horse wasnt built right shouldn't be allowed to post anything on here. She's a little long in the face and her neck is a little thick, but She will probably grow into both. She has a solid pedigree, but really any horse can be a reiner if they have the drive, heart and training to back them up. I dont think you would be making a bad decision to try the filly. And if she doesnt work, then sell her for a local show pony or a trail horse! She's just a weanling and only time and training can tell when they are that young.

cowgirl4753 12-25-2012 10:36 PM

I like her! She has a nice shoulder, decent hip, looks like shes going to have good bone. Only faults I see is she is a little over at the knee, but will probably grow out of it(seen horses born with worse legs that grew up with striaght legs), she also seems a wee bit long in the back. All that being said she is only a munchkin in these pics and could change lots before shes done!
I also think she has a pretty solid pedigree and if you have the time to put into her then go for it!
Posted via Mobile Device

sinsin4635 12-26-2012 12:35 AM

I don't know what forum you posted on where they talked sh#*, but I would of told them where to go! Not that you shouldn't take criticism but there is such a thing called constructive criticism! It sounds to me like they are jealous, cuz I think she's beautiful!!

SorrelHorse 12-26-2012 12:39 AM

Her back legs look a little posty to me too which might hinder her ability to stop, would like to see some better pictures though too. ^^

jumanji321 12-26-2012 08:52 PM

I remember seeing her on that forum. They were definitely quick to judge a still growing horse. I agree that her hind legs are a bit posty and newer pictures would be better. Only time will tell if she could have the capability to do what you want. If she doesn't have the mind or build for it, I'm sure you could find something else that she would excel at.

COWCHICK77 12-26-2012 09:03 PM

I am not one to comment on conformation especially very young horses. But he has good bloodlines for cowhorse and roping.

nrhareiner 12-26-2012 11:36 PM

From these pictures it is hard to really tell. Over all I like what I am seeing. The rear legs do not bother me too much at this age. I have seen them like that and once their hip grows the angle changes a bit and she should be ok.

I do disagree with the person who said any horse can be a reiner. While I will agree that given the proper training any horse can rein that does not make them a reiner. Just like any horse can run a barrel pattern but that dose not make them a barrel horse. There is so much more to it then you get from the pedigree.

Over all I like what I see on this filly and given time she should mature quite nice. Her pedigree leans more to the cutting side of things so she might not have the mind to be a reiner but if not the training would fit well into the reiner cow horse area.

stevenson 12-27-2012 03:24 AM

she is cute. give her time to grow . I like the Doc O lena lines, Peppy San Badger lines also.

LisaG 12-28-2012 08:46 PM

I'm more into ranch work than reining, but nothing about her confirmation strikes me as bad, especially given her age. Ultimately, time will tell.