The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   So proud! Only using rope as a bit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/so-proud-only-using-rope-bit-145426/)

horsea 12-02-2012 09:01 PM

So proud! Only using rope as a bit
 
1 Attachment(s)
Not sure where to put this exactly but I'm so proud of my boy! He has been so good at accepting a bit, he holds it in his mouth and I usually have to encourage him to drop it. Today I tried just using some rope to see how he would do and he did awesome!!! He direct reined and neck reined with slack! I'm such a proud mom, so what do you guys think? Have any of you tried this before? I'm curious :)

Phly 12-02-2012 09:07 PM

That's awesome. It's actually good to practice. Sometimes you don't have time to saddle and bit. Ie... Loose horse. Gotta go and now. Rope and halter And off ya go. Glad you tried it and hopefully don't need to use it in an emergency
Posted via Mobile Device

BBBCrone 12-02-2012 09:07 PM

I can honestly say ... I have never ever done that.

Lexiie 12-02-2012 09:09 PM

looks like I know what I'm doing tomorrow!
Well, I will attempt.

horsea 12-02-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1782236)
That's awesome. It's actually good to practice. Sometimes you don't have time to saddle and bit. Ie... Loose horse. Gotta go and now. Rope and halter And off ya go. Glad you tried it and hopefully don't need to use it in an emergency
Posted via Mobile Device

I never thought of that but yes, that is very true! I hope I will never actually have to use it because of an emergency, but its always better to be prepared!

gypsygirl 12-02-2012 09:15 PM

it doesnt seem that comfortable for the horse....i would rather ride with just a rope around their neck

tbcrazy 12-02-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1782250)
it doesnt seem that comfortable for the horse....i would rather ride with just a rope around their neck


Definitely agree with your gypsygirl; I would rather have a horse work off my seat/leg aids with a neck rope than an awkward leadrope in their mouth... but to each their own!

Phly 12-02-2012 10:26 PM

Your consernces understood. But, if you needed to actually run a horse down over a few hundred acres...... It works
Posted via Mobile Device

tbcrazy 12-02-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1782360)
Your consernces understood. But, if you needed to actually run a horse down over a few hundred acres...... It works
Posted via Mobile Device


So does a lead rope draped around the neck :) I use bailing twine around the neck too, simple and most people have it. I've just seen too many people screw up a horses mouth thinking a rope/bailing twine was gentle since it wasn't a bit :/ The less surface area a material has, the more harsh it can be in the wrong hands! That being said, I'm a believer in exposing horses to as many things as possible- I'm just saying you'll find me using my seat and legs with nothing in my horses mouth before I would dally a rope through it :)

horsea 12-02-2012 11:11 PM

Yes, we have done a lot of work without a bridle and I don't even use a neck strap. He loves to please me and I him, we have a really strong bond. I just wanted to try something new :)
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0