The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Looking for history on my Paint Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/looking-history-my-paint-horse-145446/)

TessThor 12-03-2012 12:01 AM

Looking for history on my Paint Horse

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 120423

Attachment 120424

Attachment 120425

Attachment 120426Hello All,

I don't know if this is the right sub-forum to post this, but the readers here seem to know a lot about paints, so figured this might be the right crowd. A friend of mine recently had a great success in learning more about a sweet gelding she rescued from an auction, I decided to do a bit of searching on my own handsome boy who I rescued.
I pulled a skinny, young tri-colored Paint gelding from a Feedlot in Little Falls, MN in October of 2005. I named him Thor he was so long and skinny that he reminded me of my Norwegian relativesJ. We estimate he was a long 3 that year, so is now coming 10. He was almost 16 HH at that point, and has now grown to about 16.2. He is mostly white, but has a brown patch over his butt, black tail, a couple brown spots on his back, and a brown head, neck and shoulders, black mane, and a large white streak down the left side of his neck. When I first got him he was underweight, but has filled out, and is definitely mixed with something drafty.
I have included some pictures of when he was first rescued, and now. If anyone has any information I would love to learn more about his history.
Again, what I know
Purchased from a Feedlot in Little Falls in Oct. 2005
He was likely foaled in 2003
Tri-colored Paint
Likely has some draft or possibly Friesian in him

However he came into be at the feedlot that day I am extremely grateful! He has been an AMAZING horse, so talented, gorgeous, and has been my trusty companion for many years. I look forward to so many more wonderful years!

Lins 12-03-2012 12:29 AM

He is beautiful! He's lucky to have you. I love his color and big solid build.
Posted via Mobile Device

TessThor 12-03-2012 12:45 AM

I should also note - I'm located in Minnesota. As was the feedlot, and likely where Thor came from.

DraftyAiresMum 12-03-2012 12:12 PM

I'm curious as to why you think he has draft in him?
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 12-03-2012 12:30 PM

I'm not seeing much draft influence in these photos. He reminds me of a standardbred cross I used to know.

themacpack 12-03-2012 12:34 PM

Hmm, where are you seeing draft or Friesian in him?

Speed Racer 12-03-2012 12:34 PM

Not seeing Friesian or other drafty types. He looks to have a Standardbred head, and they're often crossed with paints.

Glad he's turned out to be a great horse for you, but if you bought him at a feedlot when he was two, there probably isn't much history to learn. Chances are his breeder culled him, and that's how he wound up there.

Tryst 12-03-2012 12:57 PM

Handsome fellow, but most likely you will not be able to get much info 7 years after the fact. I also don't see any indication of draft/Friesian.

themacpack 12-03-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryst (Post 1783041)
Photos 2 is a different horse than the other pics. Maybe you put the wrong pic up for 2? Handsome fellow, but most likely you will not be able to get much info 7 years after the fact.

Photo 2 has the mane up and tidy so the white on the neck is exposed - the other shot from that same side has the dark mane down and covering the neck -- if you look closely you can see the underline of the white area under the mane.

Tryst 12-03-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1783047)
Photo 2 has the mane up and tidy so the white on the neck is exposed - the other shot from that same side has the dark mane down and covering the neck -- if you look closely you can see the underline of the white area under the mane.

Yep I realized my mistake and edited my post :lol::wink: